Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up D-Link router bridge - please help

• Please log in to reply

valleyboy

valleyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi all,

I have just bought a WD My book world edition network hard drive. I would like my PS3 to be able to access data on this drive via ethernet cable but my router is in a different room and I don't want to run ethernet cable through the house. I've got a spare router (D-Link DSL-2640R) that I would like to use as a bridge to the existing router, I will position this next to the PS3 and plug the NAS and PS3 into it.

However, I am having some difficulty setting this up and am hoping somebody can point me to a guide or offer some advice please?

Any comments will be gratefully received.

Cheers
VB

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Instead of using a router, the best thing to go for would be a switch.
It is doable with a router, but it requires a bit more set-up. (As you experienced)

The cable that goes into your PC right now should go into the WAN port of the router.
After that you should connect your PS3 and NAS to the LAN ports of the router.

Regards,
Olrik

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks Olrik.

Does this mean that it is not doable using a router? I have two spare routers but tried all day yesterday to set either of them up with no success. Maybe the hardware isn't capable of doing what I want? How can I tell? I can not seem to get both routers talking to each other. Can not get secondary router to connect to the internet via the primary router, should it be capable if achieving this?

If I understand you correctly, you are proposing that I use the router ad a switch (router has 4 LAN ports). If this requires my pc to be permanently patched into the router then this is not an option for me.

If I need to buy more equipment, what would be the cheapest way of achieving the wireless connection?

Thanks again,
VB

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello VB,

So if I understand you correctly you're trying to make a Wireless Bridge, and not a wired connection between routers?

Regards,
Olrik

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Yes. Wireless connection between primary (existing router) and secondary router. PS3 and NAS then wired into secondary router.

FYI, primary is in upstairs room. Secondary would be in TV cabinet in lounge.

Edited by valleyboy, 03 January 2011 - 04:13 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey VB,

Take a look at this article;
http://www.makeuseof...ireless-bridge/

Regards,
Olrik

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks, I'll have a read now.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Already looked at DD-WRT yesterday. None of my routers are on the supported device list. They are not on the unsupported list either so maybe it is worth trying the firmware? Don't really want to brick a perfectly good router though.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
As far as I know it's not possible to bridge Wireless routers without that firmware. (At least not home routers)
It would be a waste to brick a perfectly fine Router just to try if it works though.

Regards,
Olrik

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Just to close this out, and maybe get some more advice, I managed to get this working reasonably easily.

A friend of mine had a spare router that was supported by DD-WRT so we did a swap. Easy job to flash the router with the custom firmware then spent a long time experimenting with the settings due to the fact that I do not fully understand all of the terminology (I have come to the conclusion that I know enough to cause myself problems).

Couldn't get 'Client Mode' to work so then tried to configure 'Client Bridge' mode; couldn't get that to work either (couldn't make the two routers 'see' each other for some reason). Ended up getting 'Repeater Bridged' mode to work.

All of my devices were connecting to the secondary router. I had internet access on the laptop via the wireless link to the primary router and access to the NAS from the laptop via the direct link to the secondary router. PS3 can access all shared folders on the NAS. Free of charge - Whoopee!

Only thing is, I don't really know what the repeater mode is intended to be used for. I was hoping that you could explain and let me know if there are any pitfalls please?

Thanks for the interest so far.

I now have contracted a virus/malware which is preventing internet access but that is another story, I have asked for help in the malware removal forum :D

VB

Edited by valleyboy, 08 January 2011 - 01:24 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Take a look at this page; :D
http://www.dd-wrt.co...Repeater_Bridge

Regards,
Olrik

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks, sounds like I have used the correct features.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
All is still working reasonably well but I have some questions regarding data transfer speeds...

I am finding the transfer speed from laptop (wireless g) to NAS painfully slow, how can I measure the speed to check if it is in the expected ball park?

Is there a way that I can verify that the whole setup is correct? What tests can I carry out?