Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop keeps relaoding

• Please log in to reply

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Because your logs are clean and there is no sign of malware I think that you have problem with your system. Please open topic Here. Write down that you were sent from Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal topic and give them link to this topic. They will help you with repairing your system. " - Maliprog (Trusted Helper)

I do not have any operating system discs that came with my computer unfortunatly....running XP Home SP2. Can't get anything to work unless in Safe Mode as Admin.

Here is original link from which I was sent here:

http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry1949568

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
After reading through the complete malware topic I would like to suggest the following steps.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Depending on the results of the HD diagnostics then I will need you to do the following.

...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I am going to try to do this...not sure what brand my hard drive is....will open it up I guess to take a look.

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I cannot determine the hard drive brand. It is an Emachines, Model: T3085
The emachines site says this about the drive: 160GB HDD (7200rpm)

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I did get the Mem disc created and it is working on reboot....doesn't look good, been running just a minute or two and says 51 Errors already (and counting)!!!! I'll let you know tomorrow final results of that test, and please let me know which HD diagnostic to run, thanks, and Happy New Year!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did get the Mem disc created and it is working on reboot....doesn't look good, been running just a minute or two and says 51 Errors already (and counting)!!!! I'll let you know tomorrow final results of that test, and please let me know which HD diagnostic to run, thanks, and Happy New Year!

No need to continue this.
If you have more then one stick of memory in the system please remove all but one and test them each by themselves.
You may get lucky and only have one bad stick
This is at least part of your problem right now.

As for the hd try the cd iso version of SeaTools.

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I was already trying to see if one would work. I think they are both bad. At least i know where the problem is! I'll get new sticks on tuesday when I get paid....but I will run the mem boot on each stick right now!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D OK good thinking ahead ;)

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Maybe there is some luck....the one went up and up real quick on the errors. The second one has not yet given an error, I'll leave it running to see if there any errors on it I guess. Thanks for your help...interesting profile pic, if you like zombie stuff, make sure you catch the new Walking Dead series, it is really great!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks for your help...interesting profile pic, if you like zombie stuff, make sure you catch the new Walking Dead series, it is really great!

Yep I try to watch it but I think i will miss this weekend because of company. :D

Advertisements

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
not unless it is on reruns, the series is over until the next season as of a week or two ago =)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it has been a couple of weeks since I have been able to watch it.
How did the other stick of ram turn out?
I would suggest replacing it with matching sticks of memory so there is no compatibility issues with new memory and old memory. With the cost of memory being so low it might be worth your energy to just put 1 gig or maybe 2 gigs in depending on your budget.
Crucial will give you a layout of your memory slots and what each slot is capable of handling maximum.
To the right of that will be the type of memory your system can use.

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well one had no errors, but I only ran it through 3 passes, thought it would work....nope, same desktop issue of it loading, then reloading. I only had two unmatched 512's in it before, it says it can handle 2 GB in specifications, so I'll get two matching sticks tue.s eve.

If I also end up needing a hard drive....will I be able to transfer some of my programs I've installed on this thing over the past decade? One can only assume that if the original RAM in it went bad, the hard drive is about to be doing the same thing.....then the power source....guess it's like an old car at this point =(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should test the hd with the instructions from post 2.
If it passes without any errors i would not worry. If you are looking to increase your drive capacity you could simply image it over to a new drive thus keeping everything intact.

halleyscomet

halleyscomet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
So it looks like it is not simply the RAM, as it still is not working properly after I installed a fresh GB of Ram. I have the old DDR, which is still not cheap, so I just bought one. I will run the HD diagnostic next....wonder how cheap I can get a HD for.....and I don't have any install discs!