Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp crashes when modem engages

• Please log in to reply

Abby7625

Abby7625

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have installed the modem. Modem properties say that the device and drivers are installed correctly and functioning properly with no conflicts. When the modem opens the phone line to connect to the internet, the computer crashes and I have to turn it off and reboot. Testing the modem does the same thing, causing the system to completely freeze for an indefinite period of time and resulting in manually turning the computer off. <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try the modem in a different PCI slot. If that doesn't work I'd suggest exchanging it for another modem, as you may have a defective one.

Abby7625

Abby7625

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ive done both..This is actually the 3rd modem Ive tried and this time I did think to install in a different slot. The other 2 simply would not connect. This one crashes the computer.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

The other 2 simply would not connect. This one crashes the computer.

Not connecting may be something we can help with, a modem that crashes your computer is not good.

Have you ever had a modem connected to this system?

Did you try moving the other modems to a different phone jack?