Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my own computer! (1st time)

• Please log in to reply

101Kido

101Kido

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello guys,
I am really sure that I am up to it to start building my own pc.Im 13 and have a good *BRAIN* with computers :D .I just want you guys to confirm my system so that everything is going to work right.

Asus P5QL-EM Intel 775 Motherboard
http://www.matrixonl...775-motherboard

Aerocool AeroEngine Plus
http://www.aerocool....lus/ae-plus.htm

GeForce 9600 GT
http://www.google.co...&tbnh=167&tbnw=

Aerocool 700Watt PSU
http://www.matrixonl...ool-700watt-psu

Quad Core Q8300 2.5 GHz
http://www.google.co...rt=0&sig2=iH4wP

Thank you for the comeback,

Regardzzzz 101Kido

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi 101Kido, :D

We would be more than happy to give you some help but need a little more information from you.

Where do you live?

What do you mostly want to do on your computer, (gaming, video and photo, general purpose)?

What will be your budget?

The hardware you have selected is not really up to date. How did you come up with the parts list you have posted?

Edited by iammykyl, 01 January 2011 - 03:42 PM.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello guys,

My name is Keith Dunn live in South Africa and im 13. Im have a computer from last year (7/05/2010). I have about R3000 (+/- $429) budget. I have started upgrading my computer since last month.This my current PC specs :

Current system:

GeForce 9600 GT
3 Gb DDR2 RAM
Quad core Q8300 2.5 GHz
500 gb HDD
Gigabyte G31M-ES2C.

My plan is to take the new Motherboard (Asus P5QL-EM Intel 775 Motherboard) and place it in the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus and also putting my old computer's GeForce 9600 GT , 3 GB RAM , Quad Core Q8300 , 500 GB HDD in there as well so I planed the specs like this then :

New system:

Asus P5QL-EM Intel 775 Motherboard
Aerocool AeroEngine Plus
GeForce 9600 GT
3 GB DDR2 RAM
Quad Core Q8300
500 GB HDD
Aerocool 700Watt PSU

Hope you understand my poor English, :D

101Kido

Edited by 101Kido, 02 January 2011 - 01:23 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Your English is very good, easy to understand you.

I hope you have not already bought the motherboard?

Your proposed new system is not really an upgrade, may run a little smoother and may feel a little faster but will not be any more powerful.

The Mobo is just a board for you to attach hardware too with controllers that allow the components to work together.
Each generation of boards is supposed to allow the components to work together more efficiently and faster.

The CPU, RAM and Video card have to work together and be as balanced as possible.

You can have a too powerful CPU for the RAM and video, a waste of money because it just idles away while it waits for the rest of the system.

Not enough RAM or too slow, Holds up the system. RAM to fast or too much, waste of money.

Graphics card to weak, poor video rendering, horrible game play. Too powerful for the CPU, it has to wait, good gaming but you will not get the max from the card.

Your proposed new motherboard may (but no guarantee) perform a little better but as you are reusing the CPU, RAM and video card I don't honestly think you will see much if any improvement.

The 700w PSU will be overkill Unless you had a top range CPU and crossfire or SLI. a good quality 450w PSU would be enough.

If your existing computer is a brand name like HP or Dell and came pre installed with the OS and you change the motherboard, it will them become a new system and you will not be able to use the OS you have. This means you will have to buy a new OS.

Sorry that I have rained on your parade.

What do you want the computer to do? Let us know what you want to do next.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello guys,

You see i want the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus case but I saw you need a ATX or Micro ATX for the case but I have the Gigabyte G31M-ES2C and I think it is not right??? (Help me if I am wrong)

So that is where I started to worry about a new motherboard... And my motherboard only has space for 1 system fan but the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus have two fans on the case (http://www.aerocool....lus/ae-plus.htm) so i don't know if my motherboard is right for the case...

and that is also why I chose the 700 w PSU so that it can run the two fans and the rest of my hardware ...

And BTW I plan to get a 2 TB HDD for my system next month so i need a case for 2 or more place for HDD's

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

You DO NOT need a new motherboard, It is a micro ATX and good. Here is the product page, > http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3486#sp

DO NOT buy a PSU yet. It will be the last component to be selected.

Please answer every question I ask.

What do you want your computer to do?

Why did you choose the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus case?

Do you have a disk for your windows 7 operating system?

Regards.

iammykyl

Edited by iammykyl, 02 January 2011 - 09:38 AM.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello Guys,

What do you want your computer to do? I'm a gamer and I Overclock.So playing games and getting my computer as cold as posible.

Why did you choose the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus case? I saw the stunning look and the two case fans that can help me with my OCing (holding my computer nice and cold from the inside) + The place where i going to buy it has the case on a SUPER special.

Do you have a disk for your windows 7 operating system? Yes, 32 + 64 Bit Non pirated.

AND if im not wrong the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus need two places to be connected to the motherboard (BC there are two fans and every fan has its connector) and the GA-G31M-ES2C only have one system fan header??? So eny suggestions???

101Kido

Edited by 101Kido, 02 January 2011 - 10:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

AND if im not wrong the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus need two places to be connected to the motherboard (BC there are two fans and every fan has its connector) and the GA-G31M-ES2C only have one system fan header??? So eny suggestions???

If you are talking the 140 and 180mm case fans, those are powered from the PSU and not the motherboard. They will have a standard molex connector on them that is supplied via the PSU.

I saw the stunning look and the two case fans that can help me with my OCing (holding my computer nice and cold from the inside)

I have never been a fan of OCing a system as this pushes the components and indeed does cause a heat issue. Being that known then you should also know that heat is the number one reason for failure of components internally in a system.
Just a FYI my case has 4 case fans if I can remember correctly and all are powered by the PSU. It is important to make sure that your PSU of choice does have enough power connectors for this.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello guys,

If you are talking the 140 and 180mm case fans, those are powered from the PSU and not the motherboard. They will have a standard molex connector on them that is supplied via the PSU. I realy don't want to argue but I saw the case and both fans work with a 4 pin fan connector.

But anyway You saved me allot of money so now I am going to just get the Aerocool AeroEngine Plus case and get a fan controller for the fans. I am really happy that I could talk to you and you realy helped me.

Regardz 101Kido

Edited by 101Kido, 02 January 2011 - 11:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I realy don't want to argue but I saw the case and both fans work with a 4 pin fan connector.

No need to argue as I was just stating from my experience over the past 15 plus years of building systems.
After researching and looking for pictures of the fan connectors you are correct. :D
Sorry for sounding like I was arguing as that was not my intentions.
Good luck with your new build and feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns.
Thanks for allowing the members here at GTG to assist you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Thanks for answering the questions.

do not Rush into buying quickly, you may be disappointed later. I think you should do a little more research before buying the case.
Find out the following.

There is a place at the back of the case for a exhaust fan, is there one installed or do you have to buy one?

Will your Graphics card fit in the case? If you upgrade to a 5xxx or 6xxx series card next year, will they fit? Ask where you saw the case and make sure that an older person is there to hear the answers so that if they give you the wrong information you have someone to help you sort things out..

from iammykyl.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello iammykyl,

No there is no exhaust fan included but the place I am going to buy my case ask's R70 for a 14 cm exhaust fan witch is not to expensive.

But I want your opinion on the case cause I have look trough a lot of reviews some say its really good (8.9 of 10) and some say its bad??? so who should I follow please tell me what you think of the case and what do you think is better for the same price.

Good regards,

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

I have been reading official reviews, not posts by users. In most reviews the bad list is longer than the good list. the design is more about "eye candy, looks cool" I have not seen one but based on the reviews and the sale price of R630, I would not recommend it.

Here is a link to a comparison page (it is in the US) I have 2 of these cases.

I recommend the six hundred. You will have to find a price in South Africa.

Let me know what you think.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello iammykyl,

Sorry but I don't see eny link?

regards

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl