Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with new laptop and possible driver needed for touchpad

• Please log in to reply

EmmaE

EmmaE

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

Two days ago I bought a Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop, as my HP crashed and I work from home and can't go too terribly long without it.

This is what I'm running into. At first I thought the touchpad was just too sensitive, and I know that's the case, but according to several hundred other people on the Toshiba forum, the same things are happening to them, which includes letters jumping up to previous lines and jumping around, even jumping back to the beginning of the word you just typed, etc. It makes for a long day when you have to stop and correct EVERYTHING you type. And I work with the court system editing transcripts online, so it's very important that I make as few mistakes as possible, as you can imagine.

I'm hoping that someone here is aware of this issue and knows of maybe a update or driver that can be installed. I can't find anything on it so far, and Toshiba, to my knowledge, isn't doing anything about this or responding on the board.

I've got an external mouse hooked up, but I paid decent money for this thing and with the warranties I bought as well. I've also had to have the 32-bit version of Windows 7 installed instead of the 64-bit because of my CAT software having issues with the 64-bit, so I've got money invested already, and I don't want to lose anymore time from working. This is killing me! Can someone help?

Emma

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi EmmaE :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
As the computer is new and you are getting no support from Toshiba I recommend you return the computer and let them put it right under warranty, if they cannot resolve the issue claim a refund you may however need to resolve the CAT software issue with the vendor.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi EmmaE,

phillpower2 has given some great advice, but I'm wondering about this comment that you made:

I've also had to have the 32-bit version of Windows 7 installed instead of the 64-bit because of my CAT software having issues with the 64-bit,

If you removed the 64-bit OS that was factory installed at purchase for the 32-bit version, this may make the warranty nil and void. I do know from experience that if you tinker with any of the hardware while still under warranty the Manufacturer will void the warranty. The OS is considered Software, though the same may still apply.

Here's the number for Toshiba. 1-800-457-7777

Give them a call and see where you stand. I've had to call that number myself and the Technicians were very courteous.

Here's a link that you might find helpful:
Toshiba Depot Repair Center (the Depot)

Either way, please keep us informed to what comes of this. If others are having the same issues, your response will be greatly appreciated.

Donna

Edited by DonnaB, 01 January 2011 - 08:20 PM.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,Donna.

Thanks so much for the reply. I sure that isn't the case, but I had to do it. I've already paid for a two-year extended warranty, so are you saying that would be void too? Oh, I hope not. If that's the case, I'm totally messed up on this.

And thanks for the numbers. I'm calling Monday morning. Yes, I'll post what I find out.

Emma

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Hi EmmaE :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
As the computer is new and you are getting no support from Toshiba I recommend you return the computer and let them put it right under warranty, if they cannot resolve the issue claim a refund you may however need to resolve the CAT software issue with the vendor.

Thank you for the welome!

I'm calling next week, but as someone else mentioned, I might have voided the warranty when I had the 32-bit Win-7 installed. I sort of feel sick about all this now. Who knew!

Emma

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Very helpful post DonnaB, it will save people who may need the info some time and stress :D
Ok without waffling on too much I have been looking into the warranty issue, now the UK and US laws may
be marginally different but that is all, I have not found 1 instance of installing licensed software
voiding a warranty, illegal software yes (justice) only a disreputable company would attempt to renege
on a warranty in instances such as this (usually for financial gain) but I would like to believe that
Toshiba are bigger and better than to stoop to levels so low.
Did you have the issue when you had the 64bit installed, did it only occur after you installed the CAT
software or when the 32bit OS was installed, software is not my forte I am trying to establish if the CAT
software has caused this and if it has the vendor may be able to provide the solution.
Back to the OS issue, how was the 32bit installed as in was the HDD formatted first, do you have a W7 disk?
If the HDD was not formatted the 64bit OS may still be accessible via the built in "Recovery Partition" I`ve
included a link below to help you check this out;
http://www.pronetwor...ns-t104922.html
If you cannot use the recovery partition but you have the W7 disk and key code reinstall the 64bit OS yourself.
Some information you may find helpful can be found here http://windows.micro...asked-questions

Edit: Additional info, W7 recovery disks available from here;
http://neosmart.net/...m-repair-discs/

Edited by phillpower2, 02 January 2011 - 09:08 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi EmmaE... phillpower2,

I usually like to wait for the OP (Original Poster) to post back before I post again. But I just had to confirm that what phillpower2 stated about Toshiba being a bigger and better company. They do look out for their best interests...their customers! I was highly impressed with their service. My issue dealt with a laptop that my son bought second hand that was upgraded from XP to Vista. After contacting them concerning a BIOS upgrade they sent us a box to ship the laptop to the Service Depot nearest to us and sent it back to us within a three day period. All for free! I hope this helps to comfort your worries. You are in good hands with Toshiba.

I also know from another instance that if you had not wiped out the Recovery Partition when installing the 32-bit OS, the 64-bit is still accessible from the RP. (A friend of mine installed Win7 over Vista and then performed a Factory Restore...It restored back to Vista).

Please, keep us informed.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Since most pre-assembled computers, which includes virtually all notebooks, come with OEM versions of Windows, and since OEM versions of Windows come as either 32-bit or 64-bit, that is not both 32 and 64 as with retail licenses, there may be a warranty issue for support for the OS. But the hardware itself should still be covered.

That said, when you reinstall with 32-bit, you would also need to install 32-bit drivers for the touchpad.

I have a Toshiba and no doubt the touchpad is sensitive. When I first got it, I frequently found myself in a similar situation as you. I discovered that any tiny brush of my hand sent the cursor flying. It was a matter of me training my paws to keep away from the pad when not needed.

Since you are using a mouse, you might simply disable the touchpad. On my Toshiba, that is done with Fn + F9. Check your owner's guide.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, Phillpower2,

Thanks for replying. I made sure that the company that installed my 32-bit also installed the drivers for the 32-bit. I assume they did. They are a very reputable company around here and have built their business on people being satisfied and return customers. I do wish something had been mentioned about the possibility of this install affecting the warranty, though. It's not their fault, though.

I do not have the disk, as I took the laptop directly to the computer company because I needed it done ASAP. They really helped me and got me in the same day, returned it within an hour and a half. Thanks for the links. I'll check that one out and see if I can recover the 64-bit in case I need to.

I'm very glad to know you think Toshiba will stand behind it if something is wrong. Without dealing with them before, I just don't know, but it's a scary thought, I know that. You spend a good bit of money for a laptop, new install, and a three-year warranty, just to find out that it may be blown! :D

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
DonnaB, I do feel better now. I really hope that's the case. I hope NOTHING happens, but you just don't know with hardware; anything could happen.

I'm anxious to see if the 64-bit is still there. I'll check it out as soon as I have time.

Everyone has been so kind and so quick with the replies. Thank you so much, everyone!!!

Emma :D

Advertisements

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Digerati, well, that's better than nothing, I guess, if that's the case on the hardware vs OS. And I guess that would be fair.

Oh, I wish I had known all this before and that I knew you guys existed. You probably would have prevented a lot of frustration for me!

So you have a Toshiba. There are an awful lot of people on the Toshiba forum who have this same problem, but they all are thinking, just like I did, that it's an update that's needed, that this touchpad is just way too sensitive or that something isn't right. It's like letters appear where they shouldn't; hard to explain.

I have the Satellite A665 model, and the keyboard is supposed to light up as well, one of the features, along with the awesome audio - for my work - that tempted me to buy this one over the ASUS I wanted, those two features. Had I known all this, I would have went with the ASUS for sure. It's terrible to spend $1000 and not be happy with your purchase. Would you happen to know how to get it to light up? I didn't even get a user's guide with this thing. I can't believe that either!!!

Emma :D

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I didn't even get a user's guide with this thing. I can't believe that either!!!

Hm...I wonder!

Emma, I found a User's Guide on my Gateway one day by accident.

Go to Start > Computer > C: Drive > and click on Documents Folder.

I found mine inside there as a PDF File. Though I'm not sure this may apply for you since the changes.

@ Digerati...that which I quoted below was very educational! The thought that it could possibly be a driver issue was totally overlooked. I did come across that same issue while researching, though it involved a Vista 32-bit upgrade to Win7 64-bit I believe.

As posted by Digerati:
when you reinstall with 32-bit, you would also need to install 32-bit drivers for the touchpad.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
DonnaB,

Thanks for that suggestion, but I didn't find anything there. Maybe I can do a search online and see if one is available for copying.

One thing I did find regarding returns is the following that I found on a PDF page that I saved from another site. What do you think, as it's hard for me to fully understand what's being said here?

Return Policy
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in any third party License Agreement or product documentation supplied with your PC, Toshiba America Information
Systems, Inc. (“TAIS”) does not accept the return of component parts, or bundled software, that have been removed from the PC system. Pro-rata refunds on
individual PC components or bundled software, including the operating system, will not be granted. If you wish to return a complete PC system, contact the
TAIS dealer where you purchased the product, and comply with the dealer’s standard return policies and procedures.
Toshiba America Information Systems, Incorporated (“TAIS”)
9740 Irvine Boulevard
Irvine CA 92618
ToshibaDirect website: http://www.toshibadirect.com
TAIS website for resellers: http://sell.toshiba.com
TAIS PC Support website: http://pcsupport.toshiba.com

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am showing no less than 55 versions of the A665. Flip it over and find the full model number. Then go to the Toshiba Download page and select your model and download your user guide. Note also, you should have received a Toshiba disk with the notebook and that should have the guide too.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you, Digerati! I'll download the User's Guide. That will help me a lot just trying to figure out this thing, but I received no disk with this noteboook. Not much of anything really. That's disappointing. What I got with this is more on the line of safety and precaution, but not hardly anything to speak of on using the thing. So at least I can download it. Thanks again! Yeah on that one! :D

Emma