Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with new laptop and possible driver needed for touchpad

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I just looked in my box of Toshiba stuff and I don't see a disk either. :D Must be QCF - quinquagenarian cranial flatulence. I do, however, have a Toshiba folder on my harddisk and Start menu that has the guide, but I suspect yours might have been formatted over when you went back to 32-bit.

Advertisements

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
HA! I needed a giggle.

I downloaded the user guide, thanks to you, and found where there is a "illumination" function to turn on or off the backlit option, but you have to find TOSHIBA or SETUP, something to that effect, but I have NOTHING there similar when I go to "all programs" and search for any kind of utility option. Did everything get wiped out when I installed the 32-bit? I'm definitely calling the company who installed this. I'm pretty ticked off about now about all this mess. First Toshiba, and now I've got to deal with this stuff too! I wish I could time travel back to a week ago before my HP crashed. I would have picked the ASUS or something. I hate this, because I really like this machine except for all this difficulty I'm having. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth, as one might imagine. I have the A665S6086 model, by the way.

Emma

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, don't know what to tell you. If they did not destroy the recovery partition, you might be able to take it back to the factory configuration, but then your original CAT vs 64-bit problem would be back. I don't know what CAT is but I would be yelling at them for not getting with the times and coming out with a 64-bit, or at least a 64-bit compatible version.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
So here's the latest update.

After talking all day on the phone with Linksys and Toshiba, long story short, I cann't recover my 64-bit as it is wiped out, but I did order a disk to be here sometime later this week in case I need to install it, which I don't want to do because of my CAT software issues.

Most of my "utilities" were deleted when the 32-bit install of Win7 wrote over the original one, and now I'm trying to download drivers to get me running, but all drivers are not on the Toshiba Website and available for download. I did download a service pack, but not the one I needed. I was able to install a driver for the touchpad, which I was able to tweak that and get it exactly how I need it, so that's solved.

They tell me that BestBuy sold me the wrong computer, as the one I got does not have the backlit keyboard. Nothing I can do about that!

My problem now is that I have no wireless connection. The WI MAX or Wire MAX, something like that isn't working, but more importantly, just the Wifi isn't working. So we tried everything to get it working, but it's not making the connection. I found the version and number for the driver, and I did a search on the Intel site and another one and downloaded what I thought to be right, but it still doesn't work. Soooooo, now my question is: Does anyone know what I may try next? Or do you have any idea as to why I'm having this problem? Note that I'm wired direct with a cable now so I can communicate, but I need my wireless, and it's rediculous to spend this money and not have that function. I'm really trying to avoid having to go to the 64-bit. Can someone advise me, please. I really appreciate everyone trying to help.

Emma :D

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Emma,

Look in your Device Manager under Network Adapters and click on the + sign or arrow to expand the list of adapters to see exactly what is listed there for wireless. See if there are any yellow exclamation marks. That is what you need to install the driver for.

Under normal circumstances I would have the user to right click on that adapter and choose uninstall, then reboot the computer. Windows would then attempt to install the driver for the device upon reboot.

Not sure if that will work in this case. But worth a try.

From the specs that I found on that computer, below is what should be found in the Device Manager.

Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)

Here's the link that I found those specs in:

http://us.toshiba.co...A660/A665-S6058

Please keep us informed to your progress.

Donna :D

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi there, Donna!

Yes, that's exactly what I, or we, did earlier. With Toshiba, I mean. One difference in what they said, though. I'll list below what I found in the Device Manger and what they said, then I'd love to hear what you think, please.

Network adapters: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6250 AGN (This has no exclamation next to it, but Toshiba said this is what I needed to download if I could find it. It's not available from them. I tried to download it earlier, but nothing changed. Maybe I did something wrong, but I don't see how.)
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Other Devices: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N+WiMAX 6250 (This has the exclamation point by it, and from what I read earlier, this was "part" of the download I tried earlier, but I may be so confused, Donna, I just don't know.)

Thank you for the reply. If you have any other thoughts after my details, please let me know. Thanks again!

Emma

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hey Emma,

I'd be totally confused too if I had gone through what you have.

Did you try to right click the one with the exclamation mark to uninstall then reboot windows to see if it would re-install it?

Here's a link for that particular device. If windows doesn't find it after you right click and choose uninstall you can click on Automatically detect and update drivers and software just under where it says Latest Downloads.

http://www.intel.com...s/wireless/6250

Worth a try!

Edited by DonnaB, 03 January 2011 - 11:53 PM.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Donna,

Thank you for the link, but that's the site I had tried to download from earlier. I did do the check for updates, and it said: This device is unknown or unsupported. Contact manufacturer for possible updates.

When on the phone with Toshiba earlier, they couldn't help me with that and said to Google it and download it, which is what I tried to do. It's just not recognizing it, and I don't know why.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you updated on what I find out next. Thank you so much!!! :D

Emma

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Emma,

In post #17 above, you pointed out that: "I have the A665S6086 model". Not to doubt you, but, are you sure? I found this info on that particular model. Hardware is computer specific, not OS specific. Someone please correct if I am wrong.

Satellite A665-S6086 Laptop

In the specs, it shows this --> Intel® wireless LAN (802.11a/g/n) as the wireless adapter. Which is different to the

And that that model does have the HD TruBrite® LED Backlit display with Intel® Wireless Display Technology.

Now I'm confused.

Let's await a response from phillpower2 or Digerati. They are both much more qualified than I on this issue.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not much more I have to add. The 6086 version specs does say it includes Wireless LAN. The backlit display, however, is for the display (monitor) not the keyboard (confirmed with the "Detailed Product Specifications PDF" link). That is just marketing fluff as all LED monitors use some sort of backlighting.

Advertisements

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, Donna.

I did double-check and looked on the back of the computer again. It is the 6086 model for sure. Being hardware specific, does that mean it cannot run on the installed 32-bit? I'm not sure what that means. Also, it looks as though the sentence wasn't finished about the wireless LAN??? Thanks, Donna.

Emma

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Emma

If you are still having problems with your touchpad mouse, try disabling the tap-to-click feature, assuming it's enabled. I've come across this sort of behaviour before on laptops and disabling this feature can sometimes resolve it

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Emma,

You stated:

but I did order a disk to be here sometime later this week in case I need to install it, which I don't want to do because of my CAT software issues.

What discs were ordered? The 64-bit or 32-bit?

Did you try searching for a 64-bit version of your CAT program?

And if I may ask, is that a translation type program as I found here--> Computer-assisted translation, computer-aided translation, or CAT

Also, as Samm had asked, did you get the touchpad corrected?

Edited by DonnaB, 04 January 2011 - 12:45 PM.

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I did get that fixed, as it was a driver missing when the 32-bit was installed. I then was able to go in and tweak it and de-sensitize it. It works beautifully now. Thanks, Sam.

Emma

EmmaE

EmmaE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, Donna.

Finally, SUCCESS!!! I had to take the computer to the place that installed the 32-bit for them to figure this thing out. When I tried to install the wireless drivers from the Intel site and one other site, I got a message that the device was unsupported or unknown. It took the guy a while to get that excalmation point off the WiMax, which is my wireless card, and then he had to install a different brand of driver, from what I understand. So I'm wireless now and I should have no problems with my software running on this 32-bit now. Hopefully my nightmare is over!

I did order the 64-bit recovery disk, which I won't need afterall, but I'll have it just in case I EVER need it. I don't feel comfortable without ANY disk at all anyway.

The CAT software is a translation program. What I do is scope, edit, and proofread court documents, such as trials, depositions, hearings, arbitrations, pleas, etc., and when the document shows up, I also have a notebar on it so I can read the steno. It's awesome software, and it's only used for court reporters and scopists, like myself.

I have such admiration and respect for you guys here on this forum. I know you recognized my desperation and you tried hard to help, and you did. It was just that one driver that ended u p being the monster. So anytime I need help in the future, I know where to come. If I ever get techy savvy enough, I would love to contribute, but maybe this thread will help someone in the future as you all have helped me. You all ROCK!!! Thank you! :D

Emma