Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply

nicacola

nicacola

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I was stupid and installed a quicktime alt 147 and it has messed up my computer I can not use my imaging programs and when I try to open itunes it says DEP error and windows is shutting it down itunes so it wont hurt my computer plz help

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Have you tried a System Restore back to right before you installed "quicktime alt 147"?

--

What is System Restore?
http://windows.micro...-System-Restore

System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Sometimes, the installation of a program or a driver can cause an unexpected change to your computer or cause Windows to behave unpredictably. Usually, uninstalling the program or driver corrects the problem. If uninstalling doesn't fix the problem, you can try restoring your computer's system to an earlier date when everything worked correctly.

System Restore uses a feature called system protection to regularly create and save restore points on your computer. These restore points contain information about registry settings and other system information that Windows uses. You can also create restore points manually. For information about creating restore points, see Create a restore point.

System image backups stored on hard disks can also be used for System Restore, just like the restore points created by system protection. Even though system image backups contain both your system files and personal data, your data files will not be affected by System Restore. For more information about system images, see What is a system image?

System Restore isn't intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged. You should regularly back up your personal files and important data using a backup program. For more information about backing up personal files, see Back up your files.

• Open System Restore by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

For more information about system protection, see What is system protection?

Edited by SpywareDr, 02 January 2011 - 06:00 AM.

nicacola

nicacola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
yes I have tried a system restore to the farthest point back and ran windows install clean after uninstalling the program and then ran spybot and malwares and they are finding nothing wrong with my system..

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You erased everything, did a clean install of Windows, and you're still having the exact same problem?

How can that be?

What did you do, install that "quicktime alt 147" again?

nicacola

nicacola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
no just tried to get itunes to install after I did all that itunes downloaded and installed but when I click on the icon to open it it pops up with that dep warning and shiuts down

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Any help here?

http://discussions.a...ssageID=8541515

nicacola

nicacola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have uninstalled quicktime and reinstalled it tried to tuen off the DEP for itunes and it still want let itunes open up!!! I don't know what I have done but I cant get it to fix any more ideas

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://discussions.a...ssageID=8541515

After finally finding the "other" version of Quicktime in control panel and deleting it
and Itunes
and then reinstalling, everything now works OK

?