Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to get to bios with usb keyboard on Dell GX280

• Please log in to reply

gabes1984

gabes1984

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an older Dell GX280 tower that I got at work when they upgraded. It has XP Professional on it, I am trying to install a new copy of XP Home so that my kids can use this machine. I placed the OS disc in the drive and turned on the machine, it went right past the CD drive and booted to the XP Pro login screen. I did a shut down and restarted hitting F2 to get into the setup and check the boot sequence, it went straight on to the XP Pro login in screen as if the keyboard was not working (it’s a usb keyboard). I have tried numerous times moving the keyboard to each usb port on my machine still acts as if the keyboard is not working ( works fine once I get to the login screen), oh and the kicker, no PS2 keyboard port.

Advertisements

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
That shows, that you haven't booted right from the CD/DVD-ROM.

I have a dell pc too which I have formated. When you press F2(press it continuously until you get on BIOS) and get on the BIOS, go on the boot sequence where you will see that it has numbers showing you what boots first,second and etc, it's not like other BIOS. So you will have to get the number 1 to be on the CD/DVD-ROM. After you have formated you can set the numbers in their original place.

Edited by Innos, 02 January 2011 - 06:13 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
In some computers you need to first enable in the BIOS the option LEGACY USB SUPPORT for the system to recognize USB devices. So for now you should borrow and use a PS2 keyboard to enter your BIOS and see if you have that option an enable it (might as well change your boot order at the same time) save your settings and exit, plug back your USB keyboard and see if it now works to enter the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

gabes1984

gabes1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alzeimer,

I wish I could just hook up a PS2 keyboard, but this machine does not have a PS2 keyboard port that I can find. I even opened up the case and checked inside to see if there was an internal plug in of some kind. Is there any other way to get to the bios setup screen?

Edited by gabes1984, 02 January 2011 - 01:39 PM.

gabes1984

gabes1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Innos,

That is what I suspected too. I have pushed and held the F2 button and tapped it constantly. I also moved the keyboard plug in to each usb port on the machine (thinking maybe one of the ports was specifically for the keyboard). It is as if the keyboard is not available during the time when you can hit F2 to get to the bios setup. After it boots to the XP Pro login screen, the keyboard works fine. Are there any other methods to get to the bios setup?

Edited by gabes1984, 02 January 2011 - 01:40 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Alzeimer,

I wish I could just hook up a PS2 keyboard, but this machine does not have a PS2 keyboard port that I can find. I even opened up the case and checked inside to see if there was an internal plug in of some kind. Is there any other way to get to the bios setup screen?

Sorry should have looked at the specs of your computer first and realize you did not have PS2 connectors on it.

Have you tried another usb keyboard so to rule out yours, maybe yours only works in windows.

Other option is to reset your CMOS settings:

Unplug your computer from the electrical outlet, open the case and remove the battery and short the cmos jumpers (usually near the battery) from pin 1-2 normal position to pin 2-3 shorting leave it like that a couple minutes to be sure replace the jumpers on pin 1-2 put back battery and boot your computer, hopefully it will work after.

Edited by Alzeimer, 03 January 2011 - 06:34 AM.

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Innos,

That is what I suspected too. I have pushed and held the F2 button and tapped it constantly. I also moved the keyboard plug in to each usb port on the machine (thinking maybe one of the ports was specifically for the keyboard). It is as if the keyboard is not available during the time when you can hit F2 to get to the bios setup. After it boots to the XP Pro login screen, the keyboard works fine. Are there any other methods to get to the bios setup?

No, I'm afraid that this is the only method. Follow Alzeimer's instructions to see if it's working. If you need help on where to find the jumper or the CMOS battery, you can search on youtube for a tutorial, or open up the manual you have for your pc.

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Windows worked fine before with the old motherboard. The motherboards involved are the same and equivalent. Windows Setup only recognizes a partition with the hard disk size and without naming an XP installation. It is an original retail version. I have read that you have to mail or call Microsoft for a new 44-key code in order to reactivate it. How is it done? Would I still be able to recover my data? Is there a workaround for the Windows Setup problem I have? Thank you very much.

I didn't get your problem. You changed motherboard and want to do a fresh install of windows but first you want to save your data?

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Business have some funny things installed on their Dell Optiplex computers. You might talk to you computer guys at work to see if there is some funny lockdown on the computer.
Technically, since that computer has a XP Pro sticker, you shouldnt use XP Home on it.
Are you using a Dell branded install CD?