Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have 2 pc's. One of them is formatted and doesn;t even have the drivers on him, the other one has everything. One is dell and the other one is plato. If I remove hard drive from plato and place it on dell which is formatted, will I have to get drivers? or everything will function well?

If not, I have lost the drivers cd for dell. Which ones should I download? I have a dell optliplex gx 620 (the big one)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Innos, 02 January 2011 - 06:06 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

If I remove hard drive from plato and place it on dell ... will I have to get drivers?

Yes.

You may also have to do a repair install of the Operating System.

or everything will function well?

Nope, because when Windows is being installed it sets itself up to work with the hardware that's currently in the computer.

If you then remove this hard drive and stick it in a computer with different hardware, Windows will not work correctly, (if at all). An over-the-top reinstallation of Windows will usually solve this problem though. You would then need to install drivers for all the non-working hardware, (check in Device Manager).

If not, I have lost the drivers cd for dell. Which ones should I download? I have a dell optliplex gx 620 (the big one)

Thanks in advance.

You can download the drivers directly from Dell
http://support.dell....n&catid=&impid=
(Be sure you select the correct Operating System before you start downloading though).

Innos

Innos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for your answer.

So if I get the hard drive from plato to dell(which I removed his hard drive) I will have to get dell's drivers?

I've seen the dell's driver download section but I don't know what to download. For example, for the Audio section it has 3-4 things. How do I know what's the right thing for my dell pc?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Thanks for your answer.

Sure, no problem.

So if I get the hard drive from plato to dell(which I removed his hard drive) I will have to get dell's drivers?

More than likely, yes. (Get and install them).

I've seen the dell's driver download section but I don't know what to download. For example, for the Audio section it has 3-4 things. How do I know what's the right thing for my dell pc?

Look in Device Manager. Whatever has an exclamation point ("!") or a question mark ("?") needs to be fixed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

One is dell and the other one is plato. If I remove hard drive from plato and place it on dell which is formatted, will I have to get drivers

One question what OS is installed on the Dell originally and on the Plato originally?

Innos

Innos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
On Dell, it's Xp Home and on Plato it's Xp Prof. But the OS is installed on the hard drive right? So if I change the position of the hard drive(from plato to dell), dell will have xp prof as plato. Right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Problem:
Legally you cannot do this as the OS in the case of the Dell is married to the system and the components in that system. Changing of the components according to Microsoft's EULA is allowed.
The changing of the actual system that the OS is on is a different issue as the Plato is a different version and thus is married to the Plato system.
The EULA does not allow for transfer to a completely different system and for it to be legal.
Did either system come with a Microsoft Genuine OS Installation disk or was the OS preinstalled?
Did either system come with a Recovery disk with the OS for that system?

Innos

Innos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It came with Microsoft Genuine OS Installation disk. I don't get it.. The os are on the hard drive. If i pull out the dell's hard drive so it will remain without any hard drive and put the plato's hard drive on dell, won't that replace the OS?

I've lost the recovery-drivers cd if you mean that.

And for the drivers, as they are on the plato's hard drive, why will I need to re-install dell's drivers? It's because plato's drivers differ from the dell's?

I didn't get an answer on these ones..

Edited by Innos, 03 January 2011 - 09:53 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If i pull out the dell's hard drive so it will remain without any hard drive and put the plato's hard drive on dell, won't that replace the OS?

Yes but that is the Plato's OS and not the Dells

And for the drivers, as they are on the plato's hard drive, why will I need to re-install dell's drivers? It's because plato's drivers differ from the dell's?

Exactly unless the Plato has exactly the same motherboard, video, soundcard, chipset and everything then none of the drivers for the plato will work.

Regardless what you are attempting to do is against Microsoft's EULA.
Like I stated before the changing of components within a system is allowed because it is accepted that a component will fail. Therefor replacement is needed and Microsoft understands that.
Taking a HD out of a completely different system and putting it in another is not the same.
The only way you can do this is to format the Plato drive and either purchase the same OS that was on the Dell and install it or contact Dell and purchase a set of Recovery Cd's which will include the original OS and all the drivers needed for that system.
Then using the recovery disks you format and reinstall the OS for the Dell on the Plato drive.
This would get the Dell back to factory setup and the Plato would be dead with no hd in it.

Innos

Innos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks, I get it now

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What OS are you planning on getting?
The cheapest way would to be to contact Dell about the Recovery Disks.
Should be less then 50 USD

Innos

Innos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm not planning to get any. I have OS cd's. I just won't get the hd out of plato and put it on dell. I will just install the win xp home edition on dell and download it's drivers.

The recovery disk, is the cd which has drivers in it right? If yes, why should I get it, if I can download all the drivers from dell and write them on a cd and have them all the way?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Understand something.
You cannot install a OS from another system on the Dell system.
If the OS is currently installed on another system it cannot be installed again. You can't use a reg key from the side of the Dell to install a retail copy of the OS.
The recovery cd has the OS and the drivers specific to that model Dell.
Everything on one cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If yes, why should I get it, if I can download all the drivers from dell and write them on a cd and have them all the way?

As I stated above it's just not the drivers but the OS as well.
You could just download the drivers from Dell for that system and install them yes but you still have the OEM or Retail version question I posed above to you about installing the OS.

Innos

Innos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Understand something.
You cannot install a OS from another system on the Dell system.
If the OS is currently installed on another system it cannot be installed again. You can't use a reg key from the side of the Dell to install a retail copy of the OS.
The recovery cd has the OS and the drivers specific to that model Dell.
Everything on one cd.

Why can't I do that? I have used the same win xp cd for more than 2 pc's and I had no problems with it.
For me it's like this : I install win xp home on the dell pc, download the drivers from dell's site and all is ok. I don't find any problems with that. Except if you mean that it's illegal to use the same key twice.
You tell me that I cannot, the thing is why I cannot do it. What's the specific reason that my procedure is wrong?