Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Brand new computer refuses to start.

• Please log in to reply

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,a few days ago i bought a new pc,

The config is

* AMD athlon 2 x4 635 (2.9ghz)
* MSI p45 motherboard.
* 2x2gb 1333mhz ddr3 kingston ram
* 500 gb seagate 7200rpm HDD.
* sapphire 1gb HD5750
* lg dvd writer.
* Cooler master elite 310 casing.
* Zebronics Platinum 500W PSU.

On the first day, it worked fine, except for once or twice when the comp froze while i was browsing the net.It was a hard freeze. Nothing worked not even the task manager etc. so i had to reset it twice.

Then, on the 2nd day, the computer refused to start. I opened the case and didnt see any lights or anything on the motherboard, despite the computer being powered. So i took it to the person who sold it to me, and it started fine there. he told me there was a problem with the power cord, and gave me a replacement. After i got home it worked fine, until i started playing world of warcraft. ( was playing at very low settings and a low resolution which shouldnt strain this GPU)

Then , suddenly it crashed while i was playing it. This happened two times. so i shut it down for a while. Now when i try to power it up, it refuses to turn on, just like before. no lights, no fan, not even the motherboard light can be seen.

hope you'll can help me with this issue.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any warranty?
Brand new or used system?
Possible reasons:
  • PSU
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Memory
  • Video Card

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Just in case.

Have you checked the wall socket you are using? Try using a different one, preferable on another circuit.

coffee_addict

coffee_addict

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I know this may seem silly but i have made the mistake before :S , check whether the board is grounded ( mounted) , Also check the bios version of mb.

Was this a custom build of sorts or a company? If i was you i would probably just return it don't want an unstable system. Unless of course it was such a good deal that it worth messing with.

Edited by coffee_addict, 02 January 2011 - 04:30 PM.

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks a lot for the quick response guys,

Well, all the parts are brand new, and i got it assembled at a nearby hardware dealer.( It was a custom build, but i saw this config on a number of internet forums, after which i decided to go buy it.)

I use a UPS because of the frequent power cuts in my area. and i tried plugging it in directly into the wall socket, and even tried many other wall sockets. Strangely enough, at times it powers up, perfectly normal; and sometimes it refuses to start at all. this random occurence led me to suspect the PSU but i'm not sure.

I tried getting a Whocrashed report, but it didnt find any dump files.

Also, the computer never crashed when i played GPU heavy games such as call of duty etc. at HD resolutions with the settings cranked up. However World of warcraft on low settings and 1280x1024 made it crash a couple of time. Next time it powers up, i'll post a screenshot of the speedfan readout, to see if the voltage and other parameters seem normal.

Finally , after the computer crashed and rebooted, before loading windows an error message came up which said that there was a "A Hyper transport sync flood error". ( finally an error message). i havent overclocked this system at all. everything is at stock speeds. including the graphics card.

P.S: Almost forgot, all the parts still have a 1 year warranty, and i bought this rig 4 days back . :S Hopefully, the dealer will let me get a full refund, and i'll go get myself something stable. :/

Edited by Anish Rao, 03 January 2011 - 09:10 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If only 4 days old have them repair it under warranty and test it in front of you for both starting and stability.
It may be a motherboard or PSU issue from the sounds of the symptoms. :D

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok, will try Replacing the PSU with a Corsair 650w today.

and btw here's a screenshot of speedfan showing the voltages and temp's in case it helps.

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know if they will replace it with a PSU you want but it needs to be replaced form the readings I see.

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just curious, would it help if i increased all/ anyone of these voltages in the BIOS. i.e CPU/ RAM / NB . (read in some places where it helped solve the HTSFE error.)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope as those are for over clocking purposes and it in reality will put even more of a strain on the PSU.
The rail they need to be concerned with from your picture is the +12 volt rail.
Usually under 10.65 is not good and yours is at 9.77

Advertisements

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok,finally managed to get them to replace it with a corsair cx600 PSU. voltages are pretty much stable now i guess, Bios says
cpuvcore - 1.352v
3.3v - 3.296
5v- 5.016v
12v- 11.968v

corsair CX600

Temp is at around 33c system temp and 36c cpu core temp

My comp boots up fine now, however, the 2nd half of my problem , the issue with my comp restarting when i play world of warcraft and/or use firefox, persists.
Strangely when i play games such as call of duty Modern Warfare etc, on max settings at 1920x1080, the computer is very stable.
Going to post on world of warcraft forums to find out, but since it also crashed when i used firefox, i wonder if its an issue with the drivers or something?
Updated catalyst drivers for my sapphire HD5750 recently and will try updating BIOS drivers today. anything else that could cause this?

UPDATE: instead of crashing, my comp went into a hard lock, or hard freeze today when i tried opening world of warcraft.

EDIT: looking through the event logs, i found 2 errors which may be linked to world of warcraft crashing.
its described in the following link, which i found after searching the net.

http://www.techspot....opic131382.html

Edited by Anish Rao, 07 January 2011 - 05:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Updated catalyst drivers for my sapphire HD5750 recently

Version 10 has been a little flaky so I would suggest rolling your driver back to the 9 version.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
says crash dumps are enabled, but no valid crash dump files are found.

i checked if they were being written out, and checked all the settings, but whocrashed still cant find the crash dump files.

the only logs i can get, are the event viewer ones.

and btw, cant rollback to catalyst 9, cause the first driver that was installed was the catalyst 10.12.and i cant find setup files for the old catalyst.

Edited by Anish Rao, 07 January 2011 - 09:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The the issue does not seem to be a driver issue since that is what WhoCrashed specifically checks for.
Is WOW a retail version or did you download it?
Has it been working fine up till the PSU issue started?
Try starting FF with no add ons and see if that stops the issue with it.
* Go to Start and then to Run
* Type in firefox -safe-mode
* A window will popup asking things that you want to disable or reset (eg: reset/disable bookmarks/toolbars, etc.)
* Click Disable all add-ons and press Restart for the changes to take effect.

Let me know if Firefox runs faster now.

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well, i had downloaded it on my laptop, which runs windows 7 32 bit. i copy pasted the entire wow folder from there, to my new computer which is running windows 7 64bit.

( if the 32bit to 64bit thing was the issue, wouldnt it have given "its not a valid win32 program error" or something?)

WOW works perfectly on my laptop.

started firefox without the addons, but since there were just 2 addons which got disabled, the mozilla default addon and the shockwave player addon, can't make out any noticeable speed increase.Well, for the past 15 mins though firefox hasnt crashed. Although i must add all the firefox crashes are far less frequent then the WOW crashes which are very common.

( following some other threads, i also rebuilt the performance registry , throught the loadctr /r command. this was to solve the error i was getting in the event viewer logs.)

Edited by Anish Rao, 07 January 2011 - 09:14 PM.