Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Brand new computer refuses to start.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm wondering if the shockwave is out of date.

i copy pasted the entire wow folder from there, to my new computer which is running windows 7 64bit.

So you didn't actually install wow on the 64 bit system?

Advertisements

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope i didn't install wow through a setup file etc. just copied the entire ( 23 gb odd) folder from my laptop onto my desktop. I've transferred wow from one system to another like that before, and so far its worked fine.

If I do have to install it though, i'll have to download the entire 23 gb through the client downloader lol. Since I bought wow digitally, i wasnt shipped any cd's.

or I could format my computer, and installl a 32-bit version of win 7 ultimate and try it ( running on 64 bit now.)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have never had a game work right yet on my WIn7 64 bit version.
Now my XP 64 bit it works fine.
I would hate to see you format just for one game though.

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
haha, i agree. but since this comp is brand new, and its barely got any data, i guess formatting is the only option i have. hope the game works on win 32 bit.(fingers crossed).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will await your results and good luck.

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Update

Reformatted to win 7 32 bit. and did a fresh install of WoW. still crashes after around 5 mins of logging into the game.

Running Memtest86+ now... awaiting the results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update.

Anish Rao

Anish Rao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The memory passed memtest. Crashed again while i was browsing the internet. gonna try checking if its a motherboard / CPU issue. HDD passed the seagate tests which i ran it through.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions