Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual booting Vista with XP

• Please log in to reply

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I have just got a new Acer laptop running Vista and want to install XP eiher as a dual boot or overwrite Vista. The drive arrived partitioned into 3 one with Vista one with Recovery and the 3rd just empty. I partitioned the Vista drive with sufficient space to put XP on it. However when I put the XP disk in and boot from the cd it starts to copy the installation files but only gets so far before giving me the BSOD.
I tried to format the Vista partition to try and just have XP installed on its own but again the same problem. Can anyone help me around this.

Cheers

Paul

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi NOTEVER
Here is a guide for each of the options that you mentioned above http://www.pcadvisor...wsid=11535&pn=5
You may also find this helpful http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348
Let us know how you get on.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Still no success. Each time I run from the XP disk to install, it gets so far and then the BSOD appears. Its as though the pc doesn't want me to install XP either as a dual boot or as the only os on the laptop.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I have tried a piece of software called Kill Disk to wipe the drive but although it seemed to work on using the XP disk I get the same BSOD message. Is there something I should be changing maybe in the BIOS I've already changed how the pc boots up from the cd/dvd drive.

Thanks again for any suggestions

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I think I'm making a mess of this new laptop. I went into the BIOS and changed the AHCI to IDE and this allowed me to load XP. Unfortunately the only drive now showing is 160gb whereas the laptop has a 320gb hard drive. I can't find the other 160gb. So I used the recovery disks to load Vista back to factory settings in the hope everything would return to normal. Not a chance, still only showing 160gb. Changed IDE back to AHCI but again no luck getting my laptop back to as it was.
Help please!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi NOTEVER,
When you installed XP did you do install all the updates right up to SP3, if you really want XP as the OS then format, reinstall XP then update right up to SP3 and it should recognise the correct amount of storage space on the HDD.

NB: I know it is time consuming but if you prefer XP it is a small sacrifice to make.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
No updates installed. Will the service packs really find the full capacity? I've reinstalled Vista is there a service pack for Vista that will do the same I just want it back to how it was and then I'll think about XP a bit more

Thanks so much for helping its really appreciated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I cannot recall Vista having a problem with recognising the full capacity of a HDD but it may have done, the original XP did, google it and you will find many threads reporting it and a lot of the time it would report 137GB or less, update Vista to SP2 and see if it resolves the issue.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Yes it did resolve the HDD problem, thanks.
I have now left Vista on the C drive and partitioned the E drive so I now have a C, E and F. I ran XP from startup and everything was going fine but when it gets to the screen asking what partition to install it on it only shows the C which is my Vista. How can I get it to show all partitions. I'm obviously doing something wrong again

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Ok we have at least got one thing sorted, now check out EasyBCD bootloader software http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 take time to read thoroughly through the information first, good luck and keep us posted.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
After reading this a few times I am somewhat confused. It seems I need to load Windows XP then use EasyBCD but I can't load XP as it doesn't show the partitions when loading. Am I getting this wrong. I want to retain Vista and put XP on the F partition I created leaving the E partition for files etc.

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Have you formatted partition (F) first, here is another guide which you may find better; http://apcmag.com/ho...ystep_guide.htm

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Yes I formatted it after I created it