Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing old Gateway

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I have an old Gateway from the 90's that was originally rocking Windows 98. Well since then it has been through a lot and at one point I successfully upgraded it to a lite version of XP but for the longest time it hasn't been able to load up. I want to fix it up just so my dad can play his old computer games on it which only need Windows 98. Below is a picture of the last screen it shows when booting up. If anyone has an explanation for the message and how I can fix it that would be great.

Posted Image

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The "PXE" (Preboot eXecution Environment) is an environment to boot computers using a network interface independently of local data storage devices (like hard disks).

The most common reason for seeing this error message is because the hard drive has failed and the computer's BIOS is looking for *-anything-* else that it might be able to boot up from. It may look for a bootable floppy diskette first, then a bootable CD/DVD and then possibly a bootable USB device. If none of those are available either, it'll check to see if it can somehow bootup through the network. If that also fails, it'll throw a "PXE" error message up on the screen and simply give up. (It really doesn't have any other choice at this point).

How do you fix it? Replace the dead hard drive and install an Operating System on it. :D