Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My book live NAS two drives / one as mirror

• Please log in to reply

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Was'nt sure if this should be in networking but I want a nas drive to back up photos, music and video. I also would like good performance. And most importantly, i need to mirror my data.

First off, I WANT a synology or a nicer NAS but do not have 400 or 500 dollars to spend on a nas so.... the dreaded western digital!

I was thinking of going with my book world edition II that has raid 1 support. I want to mirror my information.

But WD also came out with the mybook live My link that has FIVE times better read performance for streaming media. but does not offer raid support whatsoever, nor does it have any external interface - gigabit ethernet only.

Ok, Ok! my question. Would it be possible, since the WD live is equipped with automatic continuous backup, to buy TWO of those devices and tell them to back up the same computer essentially giving me a mirrored drive on the second drive as on the first??

Thanks so much.

Edited by godwinaustin, 02 January 2011 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
From what I read on their website, it looks like it would be possible to use two of the MyBook Live drives but wouldn't be the best solution. But I have no experience with them, so I can't say for sure. I checked NewEgg and they sell for $149.99 each so your outlay would be $298 + shipping. On the other hand, a Synology DS211j sells for $219.99 and it would cost and additional $155.98 for two 1TB WD Caviar Black drives, bringing the cost for the Synology to $375.97. So you are really only looking at an additional $77.97 to go with the Synology.

The only problem here is that the WD 1TB HDD promo ends on 1/5/11 and the drives are currently out of stock. Without the promo code, they are an additional $10/drive. ;)

I looked at the reviews of the MyBook World Edition and people don't seem to like them very much. Even with a gigabit interface, people are only getting about 10MB/s transfer speed which is pretty darn slow these days. I think my Mushkin USB flash drive runs in the neighborhood of 20 - 25MB/s if that gives you anything to compare it too.

I can comment on the Synology devices, since I currently use a DS209j for my file / media storage. They are flat out awesome! You can stream media almost anywhere. There are built in servers for pictures, video and audio. They will steam non DRM media to an Xbox 360, PS3, other PC's, the iPod Touch and the iPad along with a whole host of other devices. They come with a built in iTunes server, Surveillance station, web server, FTP server, etc. The possibilities are virtually endless with this thing.

The DS211j comes with a 1.2GHz processor, 128MB RAM and 1MB of flash. Just to compare, the MyBook World Edition includes a 200MHz processor. I'm not sure about the Live Edition. The DS211j shows a RAID 1 File Copy Write of 48.8MB/s and a RAID 1 File Copy Read of 80.3MB/s, so you can see it's light years ahead of the 10MB/s you get with the World Edition.

I guess what I'm saying is that it might be worth holding out on your purchase until you can save a couple more dollars and go with the Synology. But then again, I'm a little biased. :D

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 03 January 2011 - 11:41 AM.