Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDOS

• Please log in to reply

bushiee

bushiee

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi All
I hope I have posted this in the correct forum as I wasnt sure which is the best place to put it. (please move if incorrect)

I think I have a problem with someone DDOS'ing or attacking my internet connection "Think" not 100% but here’s the story.

Connected to my Virgin media internet is my Linksys wireless g router and connected to that are 2 wired PC's a wired xbox360 and 3 wireless laptops.

2 of the laptops belong to my twin sons who like to play runescape online whilst chatting to their (so called) mates on team speak and ventrillo.
Apparently in one of the ventrillo rooms one of my sons goes in there is an Indian lad called Izah (or something like that) who says he can ddos peoples internet.

The other night my son had a "heated discussion" with this Indian lad and within 5 minutes our internet was on and off several times within a 20 minute period.

I am wondering is it possible for this Indian lad to do this? I know when you enter ventrillo chat, admins or mods can retrieve you IP address and that’s how this lad says he does it.
Oh and by the way yes I have told my son NOT to go back into this room where the Indian lad is either a mod or admin.

But I need to know are there any measures I can take to prevent this happening again and is it in fact a ddos that is happening?

I checked my modem event log and there are some strange readings that go on the line of

Mon Dec 27 10:46:17 2010 critical (3) DHCP WARNING - non-critical field invalid response

and this appears a few times. Is this a result of the attack?
Is it worth me contacting the ISP (virgin) or some other authorities?

Advertisements

bushiee

bushiee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
?

Bismillah

Bismillah

• PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
If you contact the persons ISP they can get cut off the internet i would also get in contact with your ISP

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

2 of the laptops belong to my twin sons who like to play runescape online whilst chatting to their (so called) mates on team speak and ventrillo.
Apparently in one of the ventrillo rooms one of my sons goes in there is an Indian lad called Izah (or something like that) who says he can ddos peoples internet.

It requires quite a bit to carry out a so called Distributed Denial of Service on someone's modem.
Distributed would also mean he would use multiple locations to attack others. This is against the law in most cases.

I am wondering is it possible for this Indian lad to do this?

Short Answer;
Technically? Yes. They could if they really wanted to.

Long Answer;
Yes, he can if he has enough locations to send packets your way. If you want to know more about the 'technicalities' of DDoS attacks, I suggest you take a look at Wikipedia. However, keep in mind that doing these kind of attacks are (as stated before) illegal in most countries and can actually range in punishment from cutting off this person's internet access to fines. Tracing back a DDoS attack is very difficult though. Because in a DDoS attack the attacker uses multiple locations.

But I need to know are there any measures I can take to prevent this happening again and is it in fact a ddos that is happening?

That depends a little on the attack. I suggest you take a look at all the security options offered in your modem, though. And if you can't find any in there, Take a look in the linksys router, because I know there is a few security features in the router. I even think one of them is DoS detection. (Mine has, anyway. But I have a pretty powerful one :D )

I checked my modem event log and there are some strange readings that go on the line of
Mon Dec 27 10:46:17 2010 critical (3) DHCP WARNING - non-critical field invalid response
and this appears a few times. Is this a result of the attack?

I don't know to be honest. It very well could be. It's hard to tell though.

Is it worth me contacting the ISP (virgin) or some other authorities?

If you suspect this person is actually carrying out attacks on your modem, it is always wise to contact your ISP (Virgin in this case). They might be able to trace back the source, or even put up filters to prevent the attack on you.

I hope this information was useful for you.

Regards,
Olrik

bushiee

bushiee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Olrik.

And thanks for taking the time to explain everything. Appreciated.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Your Welcome. :D

Regards,
Olrik