Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet connection, Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Dear All

I haven't been on here for years which is a good thing as I have managed to keep all our computers going without an issue. A friend of mine told me she was going to take her son's laptop to PC World to get it fixed because it was virused out. I said I would have a look. I have done some scans and it was horribly infected but I have got rid of everything it would seem although I can't fix a bug at the beginning to do with Corefoundation.dll even though I did it correctly, but that is not an issue really.

However, what is an issue is that prior to the virus scans and removing Norton, AVG and installing Avast I could connect to the internet via my network, but now I can't. I can't even connect by hard wiring it (taking the cable from the router and plugging it in directly).

I have Googled this and so far I have diable IpV 6, reset the TCP/IP stack, done IP release and IP renew and some other stuff (like drink a few beers and some wine) and still the bloody thing won't connect - oh yes I disabled the HP help thing too. I have disabled and renabled the Ipv 6 driver too.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV6-1330sa.

I must be doing something very silly (apart from trying to help) what is it? I have disable the MS firewalls too and that made no difference. In XP I am sure I would go into the network and enable the local area connection or similar but can't find that.

Help please!!

Regards

Louise's Dad

Advertisements

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I appear to have done it by deleting browsing history and resetting IE - ah well!

L's D