Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Advice Please

• Please log in to reply

coolsteel

coolsteel

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I know i will get great advice here so here goes, my daughter will be house sharing at Uni come september and requires an internet conection for all five of the occupants, as funds are tight what isp should they use and what special equipment will they all need?
Thanks for your time in advance.

Edited by coolsteel, 27 May 2005 - 03:09 AM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
you can setup internet connacion sharing on one computer and other can access the internet. this page may help, ... How to Setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Windows 2000 supports both Network Address Translation (NAT) and Internet Confection Shading (ICS) al1ow ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/ics.htm

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
When using the Internet Connection Sharing I believe you will need to purchase a switch so all the computers can plug into it and then it plugs into the main computer. In order for the others to access the net, the main one has to be running. Also I recommend them sharing the cost of a cable internet connection since they all might need to be online at once and they won't want the internet to lag on them.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

back2killah

back2killah

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
You probably don't even need the ICS.
I agree with Johnny to get cable internet. This would break down to roughly $10/roommate for the 5 of them. Most cable companies have bundle packages for cable TV&Internet.

At most, you would need something like: 1) Cable Modem (if it's not provided by the cable company), and a Linksys Cable/DSL Router with 8 port switch (BEFSR81 is the part number). You can go to http://www.linksys.c...cid=29&prid=604 to see what I'm talking about.

This is of course they want to have one computer area in the house, or if the house is wired for networking. Otherwise, you'd probably want to introduce a wireless access point, as it'd be a pain to run cable all over the house.

Well, that should be a start.
Hope that helps.

coolsteel

coolsteel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Sorry everyone i may have confused you all in respect we are from the UK! someone has suggested to purchase a wireless router and cards for all pc's or laptop's would this be the way to go?