Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ARRAY DETECTING...problem

• Please log in to reply

Luka23

Luka23

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
ARRAY DETECTING...problem
I just recently installed windows xp on my cpu (again)...i'm using 2 hard drives
one is SATA (here i installed windows) and secondary which is IDE (im using it for my personal stuff,important files)
I installed windows on my SATA without the secondary IDE being plugged, i was just pre cautious..
and when windows were done with installing....i turn off the computer plug the IDE one back..
it wont boot to windows...just stuck at the screen ''array detecting''
but when i unplug the IDE ..it will go normally to windows with this SATA...its just happening when my other IDE is plugged...why?....is the drive dead? i really hope not i got very important data here.
i checked the power cables...i got 5 of em...plugged every one in the drive...nothing changed.im really scared about the drive.
if anybody can help me with this problem.
it'll be very appreciated..

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi Luka23 :D

I just recently installed windows xp on my cpu (again)...i'm using 2 hard drives

Why were you reinstalling XP again, was your computer having issues and if so what, is one of the drives a new addition to your system, have they worked together previously, has the IDE also got an OS on it and have you set the boot sequence so that the SATA HDD boots before the IDE HDD?

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi!

yes i installed windows again because...lets say i know my cpu is kinda of old....
so its happening from time to time...computer will just freeze it then when i reset the cpu it wont boot so usually were working after 30x resets lol...or time to time it'll show that blue screen...something about memory dump''....and yesterday...it came again ''blue screen memory dump''
so i restarted...but it wouldnt boot...there was a black screen and it was saying...some system file in windows 32 is missing..and there was something about resolution..''try to repair with R' windows cd rom option''
so i tried..but somehow my ''copy'' of windows dont have it lol....and i just unplugged the secondary IDE drive and i installed the windows again on that SATA...i quick formatted and i installed...

Both drives are used been working previously yes normally...i was checking that smart diagnostic tool time to time it was all marked as ''green'' always.
IDE drive dont got OS...im using this drive for my stuff...never installed the windows on this one.

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi Luka23 :D

Why were you reinstalling XP again, was your computer having issues and if so what, is one of the drives a new addition to your system, have they worked together previously, has the IDE also got an OS on it and have you set the boot sequence so that the SATA HDD boots before the IDE HDD?

where do i check that in bios?
is this at boot settings...what to boot first second 3rd and so on?
i checked this btw...i tried all matter of fact..i disabled all lol...it was the same...
or i put 1st boot cd rom or hard drive and 2nd removable...etc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

where do i check that in bios?

Correct

is this at boot settings...what to boot first second 3rd and so on?

Again correct, it can be set to SATA first, IDE second and CD/DVD third if you like unless you want to boot from CD first to install XP fresh, while you are in the BIOS check for anything that says "Raid Enabled" if you find anything disable it.
Just a FYI, CPU means Central Processing Unit, it does not refer to the whole system using the incorrect terminology can sometimes cause confusion.

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes you're right...uhmmm yes..i checked that too..i've been told by friend...to check that ''raid settings'''
it is...its all disabled...it was already before..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Best suggestion I can make then is to set the BIOS to boot in this order CD>SATA HDD>IDE HDD save the settings and exit, disconnect the IDE HDD, reboot and do a full format of the SATA HDD (leave the XP disk in the tray), shut down and reconnect the IDE HDD, reboot and install a fresh version of XP on the SATA HDD, I know this is a pain but if it sorts the issue Im you will think it was worth it.

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay...so i first...
set booting...1st CD 2nd SATA 3rd IDE drive
save the settings...and i turn off computer...unplug the IDE drive..
put in my USB dvd rom copy of windows xp...and i first run ''LONG VERSION'' OF FORMATTING the sata drive..?
turn off computer again...put my xp cd in dvd drive...and wait what happens?

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i did exactly as you told me....nothing is changed..matter of fact...when the SATA HDD was fully formatted...i turned the computer off..and i plugged the IDE HDD..its still the same ..wont get to windows..(for install) get the same message ''detecting array'' :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

put in my USB dvd rom copy of windows xp

This is the 1st time you have mentioned you are using an external USB DVD drive, why what is wrong with the system drive? If there is nothing wrong with it use it to install XP, the BIOS has been looking for the systems CD/DVD drive to boot from not an external USB device, if for some reason you cannot use the system drive try changing the boot sequence to USB device (or removable device if you don`t have that option) SATA HDD then IDE HDD, hopefully that will sort it, if it doesn`t you may be looking at a power issue.

Advertisements

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
my bad, yes i only have a usb dvd ram drive....the classic dvd drive was broken years ago so im using this plextor usb dvd drive. should be this a problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Yes, as I mentioned it is not recognised in the BIOS, please change it as advised :D

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hmmm but why this happened now...i never had that problem before...and im using this USB drive for a long time?......one more thing i did today....i plugged the HDD IDE outside the comptuter...i gently touched the HDD...it seems like its spinning..then second dont feeling nothing then again spinning? :SS could be this the issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Sorry Luka23 but can we stay on track here, let us try and resolve the issue and then discuss the whys & hows!
At this time it will not help yourself nor anyone else to speculate.

it seems like its spinning..then second dont feeling nothing then again spinning? :SS could be this the issue?

You cannot tell anything by this, a lot of HDD manafactereres promote their products by advertising them as "Silent"

Luka23

Luka23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay..im thinking about taking the whole computer tommorow to this computer store i know one guy he's working there..
one more thing when i was checking bios...and i hit detect drives....there was something weird i think...
when i clicked check IDE channel....stuck for about half minute detecting hard drive..but its still wont...but something its happening or else wouldnt be checking so long?