Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proper Way To Reinstall Vista?

• Please log in to reply

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I posted a message in the malware removal forum, waiting for a response. But, at this point I have backed up all of my important files on an external HD and DVD discs. So if I could reinstall Windows and then just add my important files back on..

My question is... I have an HP Pavillion PC. My computer really didn't come with a copy of Windows Vista on cd. I just have the Recovery Discs that I created when I got my computer. Or I can just hit F11 when the PC is booting up to access the Recovery Options. Basically, I wanted to be sure that doing this will wipe the drive clean so that I don't have to worry about the viruses anymore and I can just start fresh. Doing the recovery it does say that it will wipe out all files etc... I just want to be sure, does this in fact surely wipe the system clean so that there is not chance that any viruses can remain? I just want to know what the proper way to reinstall Vista would be as I just have these Recovery Discs I made.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I wanted to be sure that doing this will wipe the drive clean so that I don't have to worry about the viruses anymore and I can just start fresh

Depending on if there is a infection and what kind then sometimes a format will not take care of the issue. Best to allow the malware techs to check the system out.

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I posted a message a few days ago and haven't received any responses yet. So I'm kind of waiting it out before I do a reinstall. From everything I've read, reinstalling from the Recovery Partition should wipe the drive and do the trick. But I just wanted to be sure and get some more insight as to the proper way to do a reinstall; use the Recovery Partition, or boot with the Recovery Discs I created when I first bought my PC and do it that way?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest the recovery disks first as they should be the image of the system brand new.
If it has been 3 days since posting your malware topic you can post in the waiting room. They are very busy in the malware forum and sometimes they miss a topic.

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I would suggest the recovery disks first as they should be the image of the system brand new.
If it has been 3 days since posting your malware topic you can post in the waiting room. They are very busy in the malware forum and sometimes they miss a topic.

Thanks. I posted in the waiting room a couple of hours ago. I figured that the recovery disks would be the way to go. For some reason the manual that came with my PC suggests an order in which to try recovery and they say do it from the start menu first, if that doesn't work then try F11 upon startup... but I figured like you said would be the best, just using the recovery disks that I created when I first bought my PC.

Anyway, I'll wait to see if I get a response in the malware forum/waiting room before I go ahead with a reinstall. Thanks for the response.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Either way you should make sure your system is clean just to be sure there is not a hidden infection that may carry over even with a format and reinstall. :D