Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Finished building computer, turns on but nothing on monitor

• Please log in to reply

Lawliver

Lawliver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just built my computer from scratch, and when i turn it on all the fans start spinning, everything seems to be working but nothing shows up on monitor.

Is there a fix?

specs:

EVGA GTS450 video card
GIGABYTE M68MT-D3 MOTHERBOARD
AMD athlon II quad core processor
X-POWER 585 PSU
DDR3 2x2gb ram

thanks
-Oliver :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you getting a signal to monitor?
Is your video built on the mobo or is it a add on card?
if add on is the card powered correctly?
On the mobo is there two power connections from the PSU and are they both connected?
Are you getting any post beeps when you turn the system on and if so is it more then one?

Lawliver

Lawliver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
On the monitor it says "NO SIGNAL"

Yes, 2 power connectors are going from the PSU to the MOBO.

The video is a video card, though i've tried without the card and that didnt work.

no, i'm not getting any beeps.

Thanks for the comment :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets look at this from the mobo up.
When you put the mobo in are you sure you didn't get any standoffs in the wrong places?
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Lawliver

Lawliver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

I read online that because my motherboard is a micro ATX i dont need to worry about the whole standoff thing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So your mobo is sitting directly on the steel plate? :D

On your mobo there are holes for mounting the board to the mobo plate in the case.
If you have mounted it directly to the plate in most cases you are crossing solder points causing a short.
If your plate has raised mount points then make sure there are none under the mobo that don't have a hole to mount to cause this will cause a solder shorting issue also.