Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Crashes on Startup

• Please log in to reply

alphaprs26

alphaprs26

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a compaq presario S6104NX with Intel Pentium 4. I'm guessing more information might be helpful but I'm not sure what/ where to find it, just let me know.

For the last month or so my computer would occasionally crash at seemingly random moments, the screen would suddenly go black, the monitor would read "no signal" and go dark. The machine would appear to be still running, the power light on the front of the tower remaining on, numlock light on keyboard, etc, but no response to moving mouse or pressing keys, etc. With a hard reset the computer would run normally, no problems.

That is, until about a week ago. Returning home after a few days away the computer would not successfully boot, but would crash during the "Windows XP" loading screen every time I tried to turn it on. I tried unplugging everything but the monitor and the keyboard, which got me as far as booting up and having the desktop visible for 10-15 seconds before crashing again.

I would sometimes get an error message saying that windows failed to start successfully, and was given the option to start normally, or in safe mode, or with last known good configuration. I tried all of these and they all yielded the same result as before.

I tried booting from the disc and using the recovery console to perform system repair, but the problem persisted.

I followed instructions from microsoft support to manually recover a corrupted registry, still no luck.

I tried doing a clean re-install of xp and was able to delete the existing partition, create a new partition, copy files, restart and proceed to the screen that says windows xp is being installed, "installation will take approximately 39 minutes," and at this point the computer crashes, I get a black screen and can't seem to do anything but a hard reset.

Finally, I tried removing one of two sticks of ram and trying each of them individually in one or the other memory slot, but every combination still yields a crash.

Any light that can be shed on this situation would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If the RAM is okay, the next possible suspect is the hard drive which may have failed. This happens to all hard drives sooner or later.
Rather than just having the drive replaced & hoping that was the cause of your problem, you need to test it first.
Testing it involves making a bootable CD from a file which you can download from the drive manufacturer's website.
Then you boot your PC from that CD and run the test. If you see "Failed" on the screen after or during testing, the drive has definitley died.

Links to the testing software are here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

If you don't know the make of your hard drive, you can download the testing tool made by Seagate, called "SeaTools for DOS" which can test any make of hard drive: http://www.seagate.c...ols/seatooldreg

alphaprs26

alphaprs26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, Phillip. The test shows that the drive has, indeed, failed. For someone who doesn't know, is there anything in particular you would advise that I look for in a replacement? In case it matters, the drive in question is a SAMSUNG SP0802N