Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU Fan.

• Please log in to reply

Paradoxum

Paradoxum

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the Coolermaster HAF X case which has a grill on the bottom of the case, however I would like to buy this PSU, which has a top mounted fan, could I just turn the PSU over so the fan is facing the bottom or would it not matter which way it faces? Also, if anyone could, could you provide me with a 700watt, Modular, PSU with a bottom mounted fan?

Many thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

You should be able to use this PSU with the fan on the bottom. ATX PSUs have one screw hole which is offset from the other 3. When you look at the back of your computer case, you should see that this offset one is in the top left corner (normally directly above the power socket). If you look closely at the photo of the OCZ PSU, you can see that it too has it's offset screw hole where the power socket it. So if effect, the PSU in the photo is simply upside down.

Paradoxum

Paradoxum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for that. Would it make a difference if I left the PSU with the fan facing upwards? Bearing in mind I will have a H70 Cooling system inplace aswell as a VGA brakcet cooling my graphics card?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The PSU fan is there to keep the PSU cool, not the rest of the system. The problem with mounting the PSU upside down so that the fan is on the top, is that in most cases there's no real gap between the top of the PSU and the top of the case so this would impede the PSU's ability to keep cool as it would restrict the air flow. A lot.

The other consideration of course is that the screw holes are unlikely to match up all the way round, so you would probably only be able to fix the PSU in place with 2 screws instead of 4.

Paradoxum

Paradoxum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The PSU fan is on the top already, does the fan blow out hot air from the PSU? If it does then having the fan ontop of the PSU would heat up the motherboard a substantial amount, wouldn't it? Excuse me if I'm wrong.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think you'll find when the PSU fan is on the top or bottom as opposed to the back of the PSU, the fan draws air into the PSU.

Paradoxum

Paradoxum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries. Good luck with it :D