Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing an OS into Virtualbox

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Remember when we all said we would never be that way? DOH!!!!!!!!!! :D

Boy do I remember!

@rshaffer: Is W2K similar to your 98? This W2K has IE5 on it. Can I upgrade it to at least IE6? I'm trying to access GTG to get to my reg. exercise to access a link and install a certain program. But I can't get the screen resolution correct. Looks like it's in safe mode. I've tried to right click on the desktop > choose properties and fix the issue to no avail. Any ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
W2k is one I'm not familiar with.
Are you only getting 640x480 resolution with 16 colors?
Possibly a driver issue since it may not support the newer cards. :D

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes...16 colors. Can't find a way to change that. When I click on desktop and choose properties that is all that is available in the drop down box under Display Properties. Under screen area I have changed it to 800x600 pixels from 640x480. Only two options I have. Still no change. Do you know if I can upgrade from IE5 to IE6? And would that make a difference?

Possibly a driver issue since it may not support the newer cards.

That's my guess also. Found the Device Manager and there are exclamation marks under Other Devices which is expanded.

The following Devices both have the exclamation marks.

Base System Device

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Tried to right click > choose properties > and update/install drivers from Windows Update button. But they could not be found.

So I have to find another way to install the program that I need. Possibly through shared folders. Haven't figured that out yet. Though I have found some other threads on the net that has some tweaks I can try.

If you can think of anything I'd really appreciate the help. We did find something about guest add-ons and host (key) + c/f but need to look at that further.

Hm...I wonder. This W2K OS has SP2 installed, if I go to updates.....grasping at straws here! :D

Thanks for the reply rshaffer!

Edited by DonnaB, 06 January 2011 - 06:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Update the SP then do you know what video card you actually have?
The vga controller is the issue and that is why you can't get the color or resolutions to change. You are most likely using a standard vga adapter.

If you don't know the actual video card we can work on that.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
The Display Adapter in my Device Manager shows:

Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family

I tried to get to the update site that was given to me but I can't read the page to find the download button. I accessed the page with my Vista, no problem. But when I try with the VM the page is unreadable. I have no way to capture a screen shot to show you either.

Can I install the updates to a thumb drive then install to the VM as it is running? Hm...does W2K have USB support? I'll check!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this HERE
It should take you directly to the update site.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Um...(HERE)link doesn't work.

I was able to Google SP4 W2K and found it on CNET. It's downloading now.

There are also USB controllers listed in the DM if I need to use thumb drive for anything.

I'll let you know if installing SP4 made any difference.

Thank's rshaffer! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great. the link I supplied was to the driver update for your Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family
I'll get the page this time instead of the download link.
Here for the auto update page
Here for the drivers themselves.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
SP4 is installed. :D

I downloaded the following driver:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista * 32 (exe)

Installs graphics driver version 15.8.3 (7.14.10.1504) for the integrated graphics controller of Intel® chipsets

When I tried to install it I received the following error:

ERROR:
The Driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer.

Setup will exit.

Should I go to the Gateway site? Or did I choose the wrong driver?

In my Device Manager, it states that I have Driver Version: 7.14.10.1147. The one in parenthesis above is 7.14.10.1504.

Also, if I right click on Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family in my DM > properties > Driver tab and choose Update driver it says I have the latest.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You want the driver for Win 2000 since that is what you are trying to get working right?

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You guys got it wrong.
VirtualBox exposes a generic video device. It does not emulate the host video card.
You should try installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions on the guest (see the Machine menu, there should be an option).
You should then be able to modify the screen resolution to whatever you want.
Other VM programs like Virtual PC and VMWare have additions too.

Edited by devper94, 07 January 2011 - 03:37 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi devper94,

Thanks for jumping in. Your post helped me to clear my thoughts and find the right words. I'm the one that is wrong. rshaffer had asked me what video card I had which made me think that it emulated from the host somehow so I posted what was on the host machine. My thoughts were, "How can you have a video card installed on a Virtual Machine?"

I'm sorry to have sent you on a run around rshaffer. I did see something about guest additions in one of the menus. Let me search more today after work and I'll get back to you. I do know that there is nothing listed in the DM of the VM for a video card.

Thanks guys!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Like I stated I don't use virtual box so I'm not familiar with how it works. I work with 3 different OS's on my system but installed on 3 different partitions.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I work with 3 different OS's on my system but installed on 3 different partitions.

I was initially going to dual boot the W2K with my Vista but didn't want to deal with a dual boot. I wanted to be able to access both OS's at the same time.

Here's my update: :D

No option under Machine Menu for Guest Additions.

So, in Virtualbox OS (W2K) I clicked on the desktop icon for My Computer and found an icon for VBOXADDITIONS_4 [: D]. I double clicked and the VirtualBox Guest Additions 4.0.0 Setup Wizard was found. Clicked Next > Next > Install and it found all the uninstalled Additions. Clicked Finish..and voila! I now have better graphics and my mouse pointer is now integrated so I don't need the Host key to switch between OS's, I just click the tabs in the taskbar.

Only problem I have now is that the majority of the web pages still have errors on them. I came here to Geeks to go to access my thread and can't. Only the upper most Forum shows and I can't access all of what's in there either!

When I go to Microsoft to update from IE5 to IE6 the area where the download bar should be is blocked. You can see where it should be but it's blank.

Will updating to IE6 even help?

I can go to CNET as I did for SP4 but all I can find is IE6 with SP1. Can I install that? Can't access through Windows Update either. Web page not found! Even tried Automatic Updates. No joy!

Oh! Forgot to mention, there are no more errors showing in the Device Manager now.

If this is as good as it gets, I can deal with it and use a thumb drive for what I need to do.

Thank you for everything guys! I truly appreciate you being here to help guide me.

;)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I just wanted to let you guys know that I have conquered the beast! I had to uninstall SP4 and install SP3 then install IE6.

My issues have all been solved! I now have a fully functional VM with W2K SP3 IE6 installed on my Vista.

For rshaffer, I feel that this was a daunting experience and I thank you kindly for being there to guide me as you did. I couldn't have accomplished this without your input.

devper94, thanks for your guidance as well. Your input really helped a lot.

Cold Titanium, to you I thank as well. You got the ball rolling with the PeaZip.

Thank you all for your patience, support and excellent guidance!

Donna :D

Edited by DonnaB, 09 January 2011 - 11:37 AM.