Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disable tap-to-click in windows 7, elan driver already disabled

• Please log in to reply

moyaka

moyaka

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I just purchased a new asus notebook and been having problem with the annoying tap-to-click feature.
anyone has any idea how to disable it ? my OS is windows 7 home premium and the touchpad driver is from ELAN.
I have tried everything, uninstall and reinstalling, updating the driver (which was pointless I already have the latest ELAN driver 7.0.5.10
unchecking the box next to enable click tapping check.png and even disabling the ELAN drive which led me to conclude that this must be windows 7 problem itself.

I wonder whose ridiculous idea it was to have this feature turned on by default ?

Please... it's been driving me insane !!

Attached Thumbnails

• touch.png

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I wonder whose ridiculous idea it was to have this feature turned on by default ?

Is this your first notebook? I think tap to click has been a standard touchpad feature for at least 20 years or as long as touchpads have been around, which ever is longer.

Did you reboot after you disabled the feature? Did you check your ASUS manual? Most notebooks have Fn key options to disable the touchpad. If you are using a mouse, this may be your best option.

moyaka

moyaka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did reboot after every changes, not just restarting it, but actually shut it down, did nothing, the touchpad is still working properly and happily, according to the manual to lock the touchpad, use fn + f9, same thing, no difference. ;)

By the way, this is actually my third notebook, yes i was aware that tap-to-click is a standard feature, but i wasn't aware that it was also standard not to have the option to turn it off ? :D

With my first toshiba laptop, it was never turned on, and with the second toshiba, I was able to turn it off ( except when I entered safe mode, when it was back on again). So this is the first time that I have been having problem with it

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Cheers

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So Fn + F9 does not disable the touchpad? Do you have to use the ELAN driver? I ask because it seems others with the same complaint resolved it by installing Synaptics drivers from ASUS Downloads. If that is of no help, I suggest you contact ASUS tech support.

I guess you should have stuck with Toshiba! :D I am not a fan of notebooks, but I really like my Toshiba.

moyaka

moyaka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I followed the link you gave me, actually they are all elantech drivers, not synaptic, however I was a bit surprised when I check the dates and versions of the drivers listed there, quite a few of them are actually newer than my current driver. weird because whenever I try to update the using the "update driver" button from the device manager, it always says that the best and latest driver is already installed :D

So.... I'll try updating it manually and I'll let you know. ;)

CalhounSenegal

CalhounSenegal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having this same problem. ASUS customer support told me, flatly, that they have no in-house advice on disabling tap-to-click. "Persistent Perfection" Right :)

Running Windows 7 premium. I downloaded clickfreeze and it doesn't help. Some forums suggest it isn't updated to windows 7 yet.

Anything work for you?

Edited by CalhounSenegal, 14 September 2011 - 01:13 PM.