Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Progs eating up kernel cpu

• Please log in to reply

craftman

craftman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, a few weeks ago i uninstalled a Codec pack and a number of codecs/media programs to install newer versions, but after i did that my computer has more or less become useless. ;)
Seeminly there are random programs, may it be Windows executes such as explorer, winlogon etc etc or others that are eating up my computers memory. i'm not too familiar with the differences with ram, kernel or paging, but..

i have chkdsk:ed my harddrive, defragmented, registry cleaned, registry defraged, memory cleaned, scaned for viruses & spy/adware & malicious etc.. Used Diskclean-up
every possible combination of shuting down, shutting down and restarting every possible Services and programs from the taskman.
nothing worked, finally i repaired windows using the restore cd, the installation said it would take 19min... 5hours later windows was repaired and the problem still persisted.
Ultimately i thought that it must be my harddrive that is full, having just 3GB out of 55 left, so i backup:ed 20GB on removable storages. :tazz: Problem still there.. but the the strange thing is that the computer works fine under
safety mode! so there must be someway to fix it, if only i knew what it was. Is it that windows can't calculate the resources anymore?

I am able to have a lot of free ram on my computer, and even when the computer is idle, it is busy thinking, can't really be idle then i suppose
Does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve this, or has anybody come across this also?
Anything would be much appriciated, Thanx

Edited by craftman, 27 May 2005 - 05:03 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You defragged a drive with only 3gb open space? That must have taken 3 weeks

Let's try a little basic trouble shooting to narrow it down

some problems seem to be related to .net

either the .net framework was not installed properly, or a program that uses them is an issue.

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

craftman

craftman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hey, i already tried the msconfig, but after too many annoying hours waiting i decided to reinstall xp from scratch, so i did, and it works fine now again.,
sorry aboot not diagnosing and finding the cause of the problem, but none the less i'm just happy it doesn't take 5min for windows to launch. thanx anyway