Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this Psu run ati 5870 in crossfire?

• Please log in to reply

Moose is Loose

Moose is Loose

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A-Power ACE 1200W ATX PSU w/SATA 20+4-pin

not much info on these card. Bought one a couple months back at a store.

says I need four 6 pins but I am confused on this cause I have

•Three (3) 6+2-pin PCI Express power connectors

and

•Three (3) 6-pin PCI Express power connectors

more info on link

http://www.chipsdigi...%2b4%2dpin.html

Just both another 5870 on sale on newegg for 200 bucks my other one is a xfx 5870

http://www.amazon.co...94148024&sr=1-2

Thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Probably not. According to JonnyGuru it's a mediocre 500w overrated by about 700w - the same design as the Diablotek 1050, which failed miserably in his tests. I'd suggest upgrading your PSU to a good quality 750w or higher model, like a Seasonic X series, Antec Truepower New, Corsair Professional series, or NZXT HALE90 series if you would like to add a second 5870.

Moose is Loose

Moose is Loose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This is 1200w psu dude what are you talking about upgrading to 500w overrated to a 700w?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

This is 1200w psu dude what are you talking about upgrading to 500w overrated to a 700w?

It's a 500w power supply - or that's how it should be labeled. It's overrated to look as though it's a 1200w PSU, even though it's not.

Moose is Loose

Moose is Loose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I got my ati 5870 card in the mail yesterday. I put in my computer and crossfired it with my other 5870. It's running fine now...I mean you need at least 600 watt to run crossfire right, and it's doing a good job so far. I'm pretty sure it's getting enough power, but is there anyway I can tell if I am not getting enough power or just barely making it?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
mkau is correct, this PSU appears to simply be a rebranded Diablotek RPM-1050. When JonnyGuru.com reviewed the PSU, it was such a joke that the unit was rated for 1050W that the reviewer decided to make a little rhyme about it, which I'll quote now:

The cold tests were interesting, you must agree, and these tests were more so.
The unit behaved pretty much like it did for voltages when it was cold.
That is, until the button was pushed for test four, my heart filled with dread.
The unit ran for a second or two or three and then BOOM, it was dead.

A flash of light inside the grille at the exhaust was briefly seen.
A muted pop, the fan did stop, and I hereby took this to mean...
That the unit was gone, no more to run, and I'll take it apart to see,
Just what inside broke down and failed... maybe emit a cackle of glee.

So far I'd have to say this unit has presented with no real surprises.
It does ok as a five hundred watt, but above that it just capsizes.

Also, a fun fact is that this PSU is not UL certified. Basically, a UL certification means Underwriters Laboratories tests an electronic and says that it probably won't catch fire. Even the $2 surge protector I have in a box sitting next to me is UL certified; it's not hard or expensive to make a product that is.

If you value your computer at all, or any data it contains, I would not trust using this PSU. Also, if you don't wish your home to burn down, that would also be a good reason to replace this PSU. I would recommend this PSU as a replacement.

Moose is Loose

Moose is Loose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

mkau is correct, this PSU appears to simply be a rebranded Diablotek RPM-1050. When JonnyGuru.com reviewed the PSU, it was such a joke that the unit was rated for 1050W that the reviewer decided to make a little rhyme about it, which I'll quote now:

The cold tests were interesting, you must agree, and these tests were more so.
The unit behaved pretty much like it did for voltages when it was cold.
That is, until the button was pushed for test four, my heart filled with dread.
The unit ran for a second or two or three and then BOOM, it was dead.

A flash of light inside the grille at the exhaust was briefly seen.
A muted pop, the fan did stop, and I hereby took this to mean...
That the unit was gone, no more to run, and I'll take it apart to see,
Just what inside broke down and failed... maybe emit a cackle of glee.

So far I'd have to say this unit has presented with no real surprises.
It does ok as a five hundred watt, but above that it just capsizes.

Also, a fun fact is that this PSU is not UL certified. Basically, a UL certification means Underwriters Laboratories tests an electronic and says that it probably won't catch fire. Even the $2 surge protector I have in a box sitting next to me is UL certified; it's not hard or expensive to make a product that is.

If you value your computer at all, or any data it contains, I would not trust using this PSU. Also, if you don't wish your home to burn down, that would also be a good reason to replace this PSU. I would recommend this PSU as a replacement.

You know I feel like a douche bag buying that. I took it in to get it checked at this place 20 away from me. They said it was the psu and I bought it there for like $170 and they put in free. Plus I paid 70 for them to check it. So I dished out 250 for all this and didn't know about the psu. I had a ocz 700w stealth Psu that burned out on me. Now I am stuck with a crappy psu lol. The funny thing is that psu was on sale for 89 bucks online at the time. I could of gotten a kick [bleep] psu for that price. :-(