Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell 8400 re-build of pwr, mobo & cpu

• Please log in to reply

wjc1

wjc1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an old Dell 8400 that has bought the farm (blinking amber power light).
It could be the power supply, mobo or both.
I知 looking to replace the power supply, mobo and processor on the cheap ($250-300).
I知 planning to reuse the case, DDR2 RAM, vid capture brd, cd/dvd drive etc.
I知 using it for video/photo editing but not gaming.
Below is what I found in my price range at newegg and I知 wondering if they will all work together.

1. Mobo = ZOTAC NF610I-L-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, Model #:NF610I-L-E, Item #:N82E16813500058

2. CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400, Model #:BX80570E8400, Item #:N82E16819115037

3. Power supply =
a. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply, Model #:BP550 Plus, Item #:N82E16817371016
or
b. Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply, Model #:EA-500D Green Item #:N82E16817371035

Any and all help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Jeremy662

Jeremy662

• Pip
  • 8 posts
One thing to consider also is an operating system, changing the motherboard isn't going to allow you to reinstall or use windows if it's what your using, supposed to be able to call microsoft and explain your rebuild and why and get a new key, never done it though. When windows from an oem computer starts it does a check of hardware, like a test, if to many fails it deactivates windows. where you run into a problem replacing the motherboard unless it's with an exact replacement. Just by changing the motherboard your changing the mobo, graphics, processor, and any other old hardware you have to chunk that's not compatible with the new motherboard.

wjc1

wjc1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Jeremy,
good points that i wasn't aware of. in addition i did a little digging and realized that the RAM i thought i could use (and save$) is to slow for new mobo's.
it looks like i'm going to have to start from scratch and spend a bit more than i wanted to. some other research also indicated that running win 7 at 64 bit will be much better for the home video editing i'm looking to do.

Jeremy662

Jeremy662

• Pip
  • 8 posts
And you can also get windows 7 system builder install disks on newegg, can only be installed on one computer, so you run into the same problem if you start to change out mobos. but you can get home addition for 100 dollars. If your building a system that your going to use for a while and not change up to much seems worth it to me.