Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop PC to TV

• Please log in to reply

simjack

simjack

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a Compaq Presario SR1053wm comp and a Emerson LC320EM1F TV. The desktop comp has intergrated graphics with a VGA monitor outlet. The tv has HDMI, S-Video/Composit Video/Audio{L/R} Imput jacks for VIDEO and Component Video and Audio {L/R} input jacks. I need to know what Video card I could install to use the TV as a monitor. I have tried a VGA to HDMI cable, but gets no video. So I think I will need to add a PCI video card. I would appreciate any help.
Thank You;
simjack

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Compaq Presario SR1053wm has an AGP slot to the best of my knowledge and since NVDIA has stop producing AGP card a long time ago I would suggest trying to go with an ATI video cards.

Here are some of the AGP cards ATI makes:

http://www.shopbot.c...e/canada/427895

Please note that you should check the system requirements and if your Power Supply can take a new HD video card some will need a minimum of 450 watts and more is always better.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi simjack, this is the MB that is shown as being in your computer ASUS A7V8Z-LA is this correct?
If yes it has an AGP slot and the choice is not as wide as PCI-E but there are cards that will suit your requirements available, just a word of caution you may need to upgrade your PSU to power the add on card.
Can you 1st confirm the MB details are correct, provide a budget and let us know your PSU details, make and model if you know it.

simjack

simjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The MB is ASUS A7V8X-LA and has an AGP 1 slot. The PSU is HIPRO Model HP-D2537F3R, it's maximum output is 250w. What would be a good card to use? I don't know much about what size or what. I need recommendations of a few to pick from.
Thank You;
simjack

Attached Thumbnails

• c00063437.jpg

Edited by simjack, 04 January 2011 - 09:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I will look at some cards for you and post the links, the PSU will most likely have to be replaced though.

simjack

simjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks. And if you see some power upgrades I would appreciate if you post it too.
mailliw

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Card: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161337 check the details tab and you will see it requires a minimum of a 400W PSU, so I have suggested a 550W Corsair PSU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139004 this will allow enough headroom to provide stable power to the rest of your system and also allow for any additional HDDs etc to be added in the future should you want to.
I will add any additional info via Edit but if you can provide a budget for both the card and PSU I can make the most appropriate suggestions.

simjack

simjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I don't have a fixed budget, but the cheapest I can get it and still work, the better. If it runs very expensive it would be better to just buy a widescreen monitor. The comp does anything I need it to, but the monitor is small screen and very big case. Having just bought this 32in HDTV I thought I would try it as a monitor. I could also use this VGA To HDMI w/ Audio Converter v1.3 Full HD 1080p for less than $100.00.
Thank You;
mailliw

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
From your OP

I need to know what Video card I could install to use the TV as a monitor.

If you tell us what you mainly use the computer for it will give us a better idea, also there is no point in being hooked up to a 32" screen if the GFX card cannot provide the resolution required, you could end up with only a square in the centre of your screen.

simjack

simjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I mostly use the computer for surfing the net, Facebook,playing Farmville, Frontierville and processing Photos. I never play games like WOW.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
This card supports HDTV http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125249 it is a lot cheaper and this is reflected in the fact it only support resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 + I could not find the cards minimum PSU requirements anywhere, something I disapprove of because you could end up purchasing a card only to find out you cannot use it until you upgrade your PSU first.