Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer powers up but wont boot then shuts down

• Please log in to reply

shdw551

shdw551

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I turn on comp. everything seems to power up all fans lights turn on but there is a red light on on the video card(ati radeon x1950 pro).The computer doesnt beep and doesnt send signal to turn on monitor and doesnt boot up it just shuts off.sometimes it stays on without beeping or booting for 1 min sometimes 30 secs,20secs 2 secs all while the fans and everything else is powered up. it takes sometimes 15 times turning it on for it to boot up.When it does boot up the light on the video card is on initially then turns off. when it doesnt boot it is always on. What is the best way to diagnose this problem. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

First of all, can you give us some more info please? In particular:

1) What are the computer specs? i.e motherboard, cpu, ram, drives etc. If possible the exact motherboard make & model would be useful.

2) What's the history? Did this system work OK before then suddenly stop working? If so, did you change, add or remove any hardware before this happened? Did anything else of any significance occur? Or is this a new build that has never worked properly?

3) When the system does manage to boot successfully, does it boot all the way into windows and work perfectly well or not?

shdw551

shdw551

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
My system is an asus a8ne mb,amd 3800x2 dualcore 939
socket,ati radeon x1950 pro pcie,ocz 600watt ps,1 gig ram,
250 gig sata 2 hdd. The computer runs fine once it boots up
so I'm thinking power supply,mb or video card. Is there any
way to test these things? It has been doing this for about a month.
It would really suck to lose everything on hdd.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It could be caused by any of the things you mentioned. The easiest way to test the video is to swap it out but unless you have another one to replace it with, that's not really an option. I noticed your MB doesn't have onboard video either so we can't use that instead.

I suggest you try the following to start with:
Disconnect the main power connector from the motherboard
Disconnect all drive cabling from the motherboard & disconnect the power from all drives (including CD/DVD drives)
Remove any PCI or PCI-Express cards you have except for video.
Reseat (i.e remove and re-insert) the video card.
Disconnect any external devices except for keyboard & monitor
Clear the bios, either by moving the clear cmos jumper into the clear position for 30 secs then return to normal OR by removing the bios battery then re-inserting.
Reconnect the main power connector to the motherboard & power the system on

Obviously without a hard drive the system won't get past the POST test but let me know if you get a picture on the monitor or not, and if you hear any beeps.
If the monitor does come up, then power the system off then on again a few times to make sure this wasn't a fluke.

If you're worried about data on the hard drive, then obviously you may wish to back this up first assuming you can get the system to boot OK.