Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion won't boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

simjack

simjack

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a HP Pavillion Entertainment PC, dv 9500, s/n CNF 738134y. When I turned it off at night it was working fine. Next morning when I turned it on the screen flashed brightly then nothing , just a black screen. The light showing it has power is on, so the battery and the power cord works. But for some reason it won't turn on, black screen and no sound. It has Vista on it, I don't know if it might be virus related or if it has a fuse or what. Can anyone tell me what it might be and how to fix it?
Thank You;
simjack

Edited by simjack, 05 January 2011 - 09:18 AM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :D

Do you still require assistance?

simjack

simjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes I do. Any help appreciated.
Thank You;

Edited by simjack, 16 January 2011 - 12:38 AM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Yes I do. Any help appreciated.
Thank You;

OK and you're very welcome! Please except my apology also for the delay with myself replying, I have been experiencing some ISP problems.

Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post the appropriate logs in the Malware Removal forum and wait for help.

Welcome to Geeks to Go. I'm Dakeyras and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:

• I will start working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
  • Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
Next:

Now the problems you are experiencing with your machine may be either Malware related and or Hard-Ware. There a few basic checks we can try first and providing it is not Hard-Ware related and seeing as your machine is a HP modal it most likely has what is know as a Recovery Partition but we can cross that particular bridge as they say if the need.

Vista LKGC:

Start-up you computer and during the POST(Power On Self Test) sequence continually depress Function Key 8(F8) to bring up the Advanced Boot Options screen.

Use the arrow keys to scroll down and select Last Know Good Configuration (advanced) and hit the Enter/Return key.

If the above is successful, fine. If not proceed to the instructions below please, thank you.

Run Vista SRD:

You will require your Vista DVD and use the aforementioned to boot your machine from.

If not sure how to, a very good tutorial can be read here.

• After you have booted your machine from the Vista DVD:-
  • You will have to answer a few basic questions then select the option Repair your computer
  • At the the System Recovery Options screen click Vista to highlight then Next>
  • Now click on/select Startup Repair
  • If prompted to use System Restore, select Cancel.
  • The same if prompted to Send information about this problem (recommended), select Don't send.
  • Click Finish when Startup Repair has completed, remove the SRD disc and then click on Restart
Next:

Let myself know the outcome of the above and we will proceed from there.

simjack

simjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have checked the power source, the battery and power works. The problem is when I press the on button, nothing happens, the screen remains black. Because of this I can,t perform any of the actions you asked me to.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Not sounding good I'm afraid... Could well be a possible Hard-Ware failure of some sort. If you machine is less than twelve months old it may still be covered by the product guarantee and you would have to contact HP directly about it. To be honest this is not my sphere of expertise as I primarily only provide Anti-Malware support.

Another option is take your machine to a reputable local IT Repair Centre or post for further support in the below part of the forum and see if one of the excellent GTG Tech Staff can assist you:-

Hardware, Components and Peripherals

I'm sorry I am unable to provide any further assistance at this time and good luck!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.