Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down automatically

• Please log in to reply

beebib

beebib

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Computer starts to bootup OK then shuts down after about 3 minutes,without finallizing desktop setting. I've tried to re-install the Windows disc but it progresses for about the same 3 minutes and shuts down. Could this be a hardware problem--such as a power supply do you think. I'm not very savvy, so be gentle.

Edited by beebib, 05 January 2011 - 11:47 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Power Supply (PSU) or a failed/faulty hard drive.
If the PC will stay running for long enough you can test the drive yourself with the disk manufacturer's diagnostic software.
Links here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Power supplies should not be messed with at home as they can hold high voltages even when unplugged. Let a repair shop take a look at it and have them replace it if necessary.

beebib

beebib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Power Supply (PSU) or a failed/faulty hard drive.
If the PC will stay running for long enough you can test the drive yourself with the disk manufacturer's diagnostic software.
Links here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Power supplies should not be messed with at home as they can hold high voltages even when unplugged. Let a repair shop take a look at it and have them replace it if necessary.

Thanks for your insight! It won't stay-on long enough to bring up the internet. If I take it to the local repair shop, he'll charge me a hefty fee just to open it up and/or evaluate it. I'm thinking that the computer is quite old and since XP is no longer supported--if it's the power supply or hard drive I'm just as well off to scrap it and buy a new one--they are cheap now. I really appreciate your help--thank you! Beebib

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect power from the HD and boot up. Does it still happen?

beebib

beebib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Disconnect power from the HD and boot up. Does it still happen?

Tried dissconnecting hard drive and turning power on to the tower (no peripherals attached). Won't even light up the "on light"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep sounds like a failed PSU.
Would you happen to have a spare laying around you could try?

beebib

beebib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your comments--I don't have a spare and I wouldn't know how to install it if I did--I'm a 79 year old wopman with little mechanical/electrical apptitude. I suspected the PSU! Computers are cheap now so I'll give up on this old unit and buy a new one--thanks for your help!! Beebib

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand about not wanting to undertake the replacement of the PSU and yes computers have come way down in price.
If you wanted to try and replace the PSU yourself I am including the following tutorial on how to replace the PSU in a system. The tutorial includes step by step instructions along with pictures to help guide you through the process. The tutorial is located HERE if you would like to take a look through it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I do very much appreciate that you allowed me to assist you and if needed I can try to assist you in the finding of the replacement system.
With a little info like what is your main use of the system as in internet, office, or games I can help find a newer and more suitable system for your needs.
What part of the country or world are you from and I can direct my research to your area to make sure to find the right system for you.
Do you have a preference as to a name brand at all?