Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Playback

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Hope in in the right section for asking this question - please advise if not.

Issue is my E and F drives DVD will not function. I have a DVD that I burned using a DVD Recorder that is not even recognised by either drive and while a pre-recorded DVD is recognised it will not play back on these drives - using Windows Media Player for playback.

Issue may be related to the fact that I had a virus and computer was restored to original settings. I had replaced both E and F drives after the unit was purchased. Also I had replaced the original graphics card with an ATI All In Wonder 2006 card.

No issue with copying or playing mp-3 using E and F drives.

Help please!
--Jay

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Is the firmware for your drives up to date? Does your computer have the latest updates installed?

Have you tried a different player perhaps? Like VLC

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Windows Media Player on Windows XP (including WMP 11) does not natively support DVD-Video playback.
You need to install additional software. See this: http://windows.micro.../11/play-cd-dvd

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
All Windows updates installed to the best of my knowledge. How do I check on firmware? Tried to copy discs on CD Burner XP with no success.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
"How do I check on firmware?"

I've always just googled the model number of my drive. The manufacturer's website should have the download if it exists. Have you done what phillipcorcoran above suggested?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I have used philcorcoran advice and had success in playing back a pre-recorded DVD - Progress! So thanks. I still cannot get the disk I burned on a DVD player to be recognised in my DVD drives or even in Windows Explorer. They play back in the DVD player but are totally not recognized by my computer DVD drives.

Ideas please.
--Jay

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
About the discs you recorded on your standalone DVD-player - are they DVD-R or DVD+R discs?

Some older DVD-drives on a PC can't use both types - they can only use one of those types.

Another possibility, when you record something on a standalone DVD-player you may have to "finalise" that disc (using the DVD-player menu)
before it will playback on a PC. Pre-recorded movie discs obviously don't have that problem since the recording process uses entirely different technology.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
DVD's are DVD-R. Will check on finalization - I thought it was automatic but I will research. Great suggestion!
Thanks!! :D

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
phillipcorcoran, you are a Genius! Finalization solved the problem. Thanks you so much for your help on this!!
--Jay

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You're welcome, Jay. Glad I could help.
Finalisation isn't automatic 'cos the dvd-recorder has no way of knowing when you've decided you don't want to put anything else on that disc. That's what finalisation does - it "closes" the disc so other devices can read it but it also means you can't add any more recordings to it.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 07 January 2011 - 12:58 PM.