Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMART Failure? My Best Buy Woes

• Please log in to reply

saustin86

saustin86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hope I can explain this all and it make sense.

I have a Gateway Lap top M series, and the computer has been at Best Buy for longer than I had it in my home. Had I know how incomeptent they were, I would have never have bought a stupid protection plan.

Anyways, I have had the hard drive replaced twice, the heat sink replaced, and various other stuff that I know little about. My computer was just fixed and given back the 2nd week of December, and within two days, my computer just crashed and died and wouldn't turn on. I did everything I could from safe mode to restoring from a previous point, and nothing worked. I let it run over night, restart it, and it was like it never happened and started right up.

Let me tell you, I have not downloaded any programs except the basic programs (adobe, microsoft word, etc)so I don't see how a virus would cause this.

Yesterday, I was watching a YouTube video and chatting with a friend on Facebook when everything froze. I waited about 20 minutes and tried to pull up the task manager, but nothing worked. I had to turn the computer off using the power button and when I did, I got the blue screen of death.

I turned it back on and it told me that this:
Posted Image

I had to do a complete system restore or installation (Whatever it is called) and then somehow researched how to get my wireless driver back on my laptop, as I had no wireless capabilities.

Let me know what else I can do to give more info. I was told by best buy that if I take my computer in once more, they had to replace it, but I would like to know the root of all of this if possible. I have seen some sites that say a faulty power supply/connection could keep killing hard drives, but now I see this message, so I know it is only a matter of time before this sucker is gonzo.

Thanks!

Advertisements

basicconcepts

basicconcepts

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
if theylle replace it id say go for that nothing like a new comp maybe its an internal problem they arnt catching

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The error report in your pic means the hard drive is failing. A failing hard drive would give you all kinds of problems and simply re-installing Windows or doing a Recovery on that same drive would not make any difference to a hardware problem - it needs a new hard drive. If they are prepared to replace the laptop with a new one, I would go for that.

saustin86

saustin86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I understand that my hard drive is potentially going to fail in the near future, but I just wanted to know what things would cause hard drives to keep going back.

My sister and I both have the same computer and have the same exact issues it seems (computer dying right after unplugging, internet going out and having to restart computer every few hours, fan issues)

I hate this computer so much, but just wanted to have some kind of argument when I went in to BB. :D I feel like the girl that takes her car in to get fixed and is constantly getting ripped off.

Edited by saustin86, 06 January 2011 - 06:46 PM.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Best Buy probably bought in a cheapo batch of laptops with refurbished hard drives - who knows.
Much better you have a PC built to your own specs by a local, small computer shop like I did.
Any problem with it (which is less likely than a PC from a big store who just buys them in cheap)
and he takes a look at it with no arguments 'cos they need to keep their customers happy.
Best Buy can afford to lose customers but the little guy can't. That makes all the difference.