Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 BSoD

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm sure someone on my dorm floor has an .iso burnt, but that's not acceptable is it?

Nope can't help you with that due to legality.

My install disc is at home, and I could get it mailed to me in a few days

We can wait till you get it and then proceed.

Advertisements

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright, I'll keep you posted when it comes in.

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Do you find if I fiddle with graphics card drivers while we wait? Driver sweeper tells me that the problem driver is still around, even though its supposedly only part of CCC, so I want to see about getting rid of it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I would uninstall everything.
Then install the next older driver only and not the CCC suite.

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Crash still occurs with generic drivers, and older standalone versions(although those standalone versions still have that driver for some reason) :/ If it comes down to it, at least the card is still well within warranty.

Edited by NotoriousBOV, 13 January 2011 - 06:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is true and might be worth changing to a different card or to a nvidia card.

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Brief update, my parents failed me on sending the discs out, but I'm home on break right now and will be able to run the tests. I switched to a nvidia card borrowed from a friend, and am still getting many crashes of the same, and different types, so I've really no idea what's gone wrong now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK after going back through the topic since it has been awhile I needed to refresh my self with the topic.
You need to uninstall all video drivers completely. To do this go into Device Manager and then expand your Video Card or Graphics Card entry.
Right click on the drivers and uninstall them all.
You may want to do this all in Safe Mode as the drivers will not be in use then.
You need to make sure any old drivers are gone so that you can download and install a fresh copy from the manufacturers website.