Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 BSODs randomly

• Please log in to reply

Merlini

Merlini

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm a techie kind of person, but this has been stumping me for quite a while, and I don't like problems that stump me. :D
I have a Gateway P-7805u FX that I got refurbished in the Summer of 2009, and ever since about three months after I got it, it started BSOD'ing at the most foggiest of times. I would usually leave it alone to go eat dinner or do something else, and I would come back to see a BSOD...

I can post my two most recent Minidumps, but besides that I haven't the foggiest idea of what's been causing it.

Here's what I've done since the first crashes (which I thought helped, but after the last two BSODs in the previous 96 hours, I doubt it):

Upgraded from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. (Clean install, December 2009)
Swapped WD Scorpio Black 320GB Hard Drive for a 640GB 5400RPM WD Scorpio Blue HD (April 2010)
Re-installed Win7 Pro 64-bit (April 2010, September 2010)
Upgraded NVIDIA drivers (December 2010)

Things I still have to do (and in the current process of planning / doing):
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (I successfully got it onto a bootable CD - I will explore this option tonight when I go to bed).
Underclock my RAM (I can't do it from BIOS - I tried a few moments ago - how would I do this using software?) to a lower setting.

Finally (drastically, since I DESPERATELY NEED THIS COMPUTER TO SURVIVE UNTIL 2012),
(maybe? Hopefully not) Buy new hard drive / memory kit (I was planning on upgrading to an 8GB set of RAM.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have a lot of experience with computers and can generally be knowledgeable in most aspects of a computer (I've built quite a few myself), but this is definitely been an ongoing problem that needs wiser minds than I. (I'm only 19, after all...)

Thanks again.

Advertisements