Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent Help Needed: Ghost Failed

• Please log in to reply

dakotacomp

dakotacomp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll start off by saying I have very limited knowledge about computers. I've worked with them long enough that I can usually figure things out on my own. We live in a world of technology. I have a Dell Dimension 4100. I'm not going to lie. She's at least between 5-7 years old. Might be older, but she's my baby. In this economy I can't buy a new one. I'm a screenwriter and basically use her for writing scripts and research. I will say that I'm not worried about loosing anything on the computer. If I have to wipe her clean I will.

About two days ago the computer was running slow. I didn't think much of it. It's just one of those things. I decided to restart the computer. When I did I got the dreaded blue screen of death. I didn't panic. The computer was backed up on 4 ghost image CDs. It had been done by a guy who previously worked on my computer some two years ago.

I stuck the CD in and it took a couple of times restarting my computer for the program to kick in. Finally, it started. I went through the process and did as I usually do and it started. Sometimes it'd get to 1%, 2% or 6%, but would always stop and tell me to insert the next disk. I did so, knowing that it usually took between 25-30% per disk. Once I stuck in the second disc it told me it was corrupt and that there was an internal problem. I've tried this over and over again. Everytime it's the same problem.

Now, all of a sudden when the computer boots up it holds on the Dell logo screen for about 30 seconds, which is way longer then it ever has before. Then, it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Usually this is where it tells me to press any key to start the ghost program. It's not doing that now. It's just blinking. It's not reading the CDs in the drive. It's not letting me type anything. I'm really out of options as far as my knowledge extends.

This is more or less a hand me down computer that I ended up with in a time of need. I don't have any discs for it. I was using Windows 2000, but when I obtained the computer it had XP on it. I don't know if it came wiht it or if that was an upgrade. The guy who previously worked on my computer downgraded it to Windows 2000 without a real explanation.

If anyone has any ideas that I could try or knows of a way to fix it I'd greatly appreciate it. I just need internet and Word. I can't afford to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

Thanks,
Dakota!

Edited by dakotacomp, 06 January 2011 - 01:25 AM.

Advertisements

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well, that computer is older than you think. It has about a processor of 1ghz, and not much RAM. It probably came with Windows 98. Has a small hard drive too.
Its pretty dated, perhaps a newer used one (I am still a Dell Dimension fan) on Craigs List or Ebay would be helpful. Dell Dimension 3000, 4600 or 4700 might be good choices. These computers all came with XP (Home or Pro) installed and repacement CD's are easy to find.
Try to find a 2.8ghz processor or faster and one that you can upgrade RAM to 2GIG or MORE.
A good replacement for WORD might be open office (free).

Besides this, I am not of much help finding obsolete CD's for Win 2000 or working or any Operating System older than XP.
I didnt see where you have any Reinstall cd's for any system. The cost of using a Computer repair shop for that computer probably would exceed the cost of a fully usable newer Dell with XP already on it.
That computer really is way WAY behind in whats needed for bare necessity's today.

Edited by rosiesdad, 06 January 2011 - 11:21 AM.

dakotacomp

dakotacomp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You were right. I found out the computer is AT LEAST 10 years old if not a little older. From the paper work I was given the computer came with Windows ME. That may or not be the case. I found the Windows ME reinstalation disc and the Windows XP upgrade disc.

I went into the Bios and changed the order that the computer booted up putting the CD-ROM as first. Question: what is the best or right order they should be in? By putting CD-ROM first the computer would finally read the Ghost disc. Again, it would get to about 1% and failed. I tried putting in both the Windows ME and XP disc and neither one booted up. The computer just sits there on the black screen with the blinking cursor. I thought it was all worth a try.

Any other suggestions now that I do have a few discs to work with?

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well, never worked with Ghost. As long as you understand you place the ME disk in the cd tray. Power down the computer, and turn it on, if its working right you will just boot or a msg will say press any key to boot from cd. (assuming its set to boot first from the cd rom drive)
I always have boot from cd first.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
With ghost you use either a boot cd or a boot floppy to start with.
As for the rest of it, if the computer had XP on it it was really struggling. That is probably why the guy backed it down. You have to start with the windows 2000 cd first and then the XP upgrade. I wouldn't suggest the XP upgrade.

Make sure in bios that it is set to boot from cd first. Have the 2000 cd in the drive and then reboot the computer.
It will either boot to cd or you will be asked "to boot from cd push any key".