Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer failed to start power problem !?

• Please log in to reply

student_ant

student_ant

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI,

My computer stopped to power up after series of problems. They are

1. I removed the fuse in my computer room unknowingly without shutting down the system.

2. After putting the fuse back the computer would not power-up. Monitor is on with no signal.

3. Tried unplug/plug. After sometime it started but, asked me to boot from last known good configuration or soft boot. I chose 'from last good configuration'.

4. It booted and I worked on it for sometime. I left it on, after that.

5. Last night, when I checked, the monitor has no signal. I shutdown the system and tried to restart. It was powered on, but still no signal.

6. I swiched off the surge protector and started it again. That is it. It won't start again. I get smell from the power supply.

What should I do know. Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Does the computer itself power on then? If not, it may be the power supply like you said. See if you can hear the fans spinning in the power supply. If not, try getting another power supply and replace this one with it.

student_ant

student_ant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you. No fan sound. I will try getting a fan.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No fan sound from where? The power supply unit? If the power supply unit won't power up, nothing else on your computer will. So if that's the case, get a new power supply unit and not the fan.

student_ant

student_ant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ooh! I got it. I will check it in the evening. Thank you