Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer will not start

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I have a laptop that just will not start up. The cord connecting it has given me problems. It is not the cord itself but the connection you plug the cord into behind the computer. So I believe that is the problem. I need files from the hard drive is there a way that I could use the hard drive as an extra drive to get my files. :D

Thank you.
ginnyjoe

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hi ginnyjoe
You can remove the HDD from the laptop and use an external USB HDD enclosure to transfer the data to another computers HDD, you have not given us your laptops details so we don`t know if it has an IDE or SATA HDD so I have provided a link to both types so you know what to look for, IDE http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16817182145 or SATA http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16817816016

It is not the cord itself but the connection you plug the cord into behind the computer.

The DC Jack sometimes comes away from the MB and can prevent the battery from charging, cause the MB to short out and the laptop will not work when plugged directly into the wall socket.
Any repair or replacement is best left to a suitably qualified/competent person, again I do not know your laptop details so I have picked a random video showing a repair/replacement being carried out the speed of the video has been increased for obvious reasons.
Good luck and let us know how things work out.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Thank you for the info. I was finally able to get it charged by holding the plug in very carefully and I was able to get my info off of it. It is a dell and an ide. I will use it now to try and fix it though I did get a new laptop as this one was quite old. The videos are really helpful and will try to use them to fix it and if not then I still will have learned from it. Thank you so much for the help. One of the best sites I have ever found. :D

ginnyjoe

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
I am happy to hear you were successful in retrieving your data from the HDD and thank you for posting how you achieved it so that it may help others :D ;)