Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitor hook up

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have an older lcd monitor that doesn't support hdmi.
I just bought a new led monitor with a dvi port and 2 hdmi ports.
I'd like to hook them both up and run dual monitors to my 1gb graphics card (supports hdmi) which has a regular dvi port and 1 hdmi port...

Also with my new monitor they included a dvi to hdmi cable. Am i losing anything by not using a normal hdmi to hdmi cable? Will i still get full hdmi quality using the converter cable? Id be running out of the dvi port of the new monitor and then into the hdmi port of the graphics card. Is that hdmi quality?

By the same means... If i used the converter cable to connect my older lcd monitor to my graphics card am I gaining any quality?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The digital video signals carried by DVI and HDMI are exactly the same. The major difference between the two connector types (besides size and number of pins) is that HDMI has the capability to carry 5.1 surround sound in the same cable as the video. So there is no difference is video quality between DVI and HDMI. Note that HDMI came out of the home theater industry to help keep the wiring nightmare of 6 speakers plus video connections at bay. If your old monitor supports a digital input, then the digital quality will be the same.