Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing CMOS Battery

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Still not much info but that is ok as I don't think it is a voltage or temp problem anyway.
We can take a look at the other hardware now that you are in windows but I don't believe that is the problem.
IMHO I still believe the issue is a faulty cmos battery or if not then we need to seriously look at the mobo being the problem.
This error you are getting is almost always a battery issue with very few cases being the motherboard not supplying the correct voltages to the battery. That does not appear to be the problem since the the voltage readings actually show the correct 3.3 voltages.
Therefor I have to assume at this time the battery is the culprit.
Possible you can purchase another from a different store other then where you bought the current one?
I ask because these batteries are not replaced often so it's hard to tell how long the battery has been in stock.
Do you have something like a Batteries Plus around where you live? or a Radio Shack or even a Watch Repair Shop?

Advertisements

MiaHess

MiaHess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am very impressed by your findings.... Thank you very much for your time and expertise. I will change the battery once again and I will let you know the outcome.

Mia Hess

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I forgot to mention that when you change the battery the steps we have gone through will have to be done again or you will resume the floppy drive error and the time date issue.
I suggest when you put the new battery in, set the time and date and then click on the Load Defaults option in the cmos.
Then go through and check the floppy disk options we discussed earlier and make sure they are as I have advised.
Once done then remember to Save and then Exit to make sure the settings will hold.
Let me know how it works once all that is done and good luck.
I will monitor this topic for your results.
;) ;) :D

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There is nothing that you can do with this problem except for replacing the motherboard. Another alternative is to start the computer, set BIOS parameters and keep the computer working all the time. Switching the computer off will reset the BIOS to defaults, including erroneous time and date.

A short explanation: When the computer is switched off the tiny amount of current supplied by the CMOS battery keep the parameters of the BIOS as were set by the user. When the computer is switched on the power to the CMOS chip is supplied by the power supply unit. For this reason, when the computer is left switched on the parameters are saved. When it's switched off a defect in the motherboard does not allow enough current from the CMOS battery to keep the parameters.

By the way, the CMOS battery is not rechargeable. The amount of current drown from it is so tiny that battery service life is numbered in years.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I agree with The Skeptic on this. I have seen it a few times and the only resolution was to replace the board. There is nothing else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree as I said in post 16:

IMHO I still believe the issue is a faulty cmos battery or if not then we need to seriously look at the mobo being the problem.

Without trying the battery to make sure it for sure is not a weak battery then if not the mobo is the only other option. :D