Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless interenet available - PCI Driver

• Please log in to reply

twinkel

twinkel

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there

I wonder if someone would be able to help me.

I have a toshiba satellite L30, running windows vista home basic.

For some reason it has started to say i have PCI error. I have re-installed the realtek drivers for my device RTL8139 from the realtek website, but it now states not enough free resouce???

I have the update also available from windows update service, but as i can't connnect to the internet i am unable to download to see if this version will help.

does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

many thanks in advance

Tina

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi twinkel :D
A quick suggestion you can try, do you have or can you loan a flash/thumb drive?
You could download the update you are wanting to try via another computer to the thumb drive and then install it from the thumb drive onto your computer, good luck and let us know how it works out.

twinkel

twinkel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

thanks for your reply

I have already downloaded the update onto a flash drive via another computer, and uploaded it to mine, this has failed.

Do you think the update windows has for my Realtek device would be the one i need, and if so how do i go above downloading this without the internet connection?

thanks

Tina

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi Tina, can you loan a WIFI USB dongle, this will allow you to download the drivers directly to your laptop.
Have you checked the status of the network card in the device manager, go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Network Adapters, any yellow exclamation marks or red x warnings, if not right click on the device and uninstall it, reboot the laptop and see if you get a new hardware detected message, if you do reinstall it, if not go back to Network Adapters and see if it listed there, if it is not it may mean that the card has failed.

Drivers: http://uk.computers....rue&startPage=1

twinkel

twinkel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again

Ive borrowed a dongle and performed the download like you stated, which was from the windows update. After restarting the computer the realtek device is still showing the yellow exclamation mark.

Should i try and unistall and then reboot? as i was not too clear if this is what you meant?

many thanks again for all your help

Tina

twinkel

twinkel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry forgot to add that i went to the website link and it states it does not have any updates for the device available.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Ok uninstall the device and reboot to see if you get the "new hardware found" message, if you do not it may suggest the card has failed, they are not expensive nor are they hard to replace, I would recommend removing the card, blowing out the slot and replacing the card to see if there is any change, dust or bad/dirty connections can cause issues such as this.

twinkel

twinkel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks again,

I will give it a try and let you know... fingers crossed

Tina

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Just reading through your OP I noticed you said "For some reason it has started to say i have PCI error. I have re-installed the realtek drivers for my device RTL8139 from the realtek website, but it now states not enough free resource???" This may mean that the WLAN device is conflicting with another device, have you changed any settings or installed any new devices or software prior to this happening?
To check for conflicts Right Click on the device with the yellow exclamation mark, Properties tab and then the Resources tab, does it list any conflicts there?
Uninstall the drivers for the device that you have already downloaded before rebooting but after you have uninstalled the WLAN device, this is to see if Vista has a working driver for the "new hardware device" if the card is detected that is.
Did you check Toshiba for driver updates http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/