Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Additional fan's power source

• Please log in to reply

flyinglikepan

flyinglikepan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I intend for the computer to sit in an enclosed chest. I have a 3pin, 12 volt dc fan I plan on cooling the chest with. I'm trying to figure out how to power this thing. Then computer itself has a cpu fan (4pin) and a system fan (3pin). That being said, there are no additional 3pin connections to hook this thing up with. Can I splice into the system fans line? Or is there a better way to do this? Thanks

Advertisements

Jeremy662

Jeremy662

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Best thing to do is get a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter to plug it into a molex connector coming from the power supply. Can be found on ebay for a few bucks. May have them at radio shack. I just order four females and four male adapters for a recent build of mine. If that's to much just pop for a 4 pin molex fan. I wouldn't cut and splice any wires going to my mobo.

flyinglikepan

flyinglikepan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the reply. I have a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter. But there are no 4 pin connections coming off the power supply. the only thing I can find is the thin, black (maybe 15 pin) connector that powers my drives. There are several of those to use. I'm having a hard time finding something for that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There are none of the molex connectors like the white side of the below picture?