Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System not Found

• Please log in to reply

Guillaume31

Guillaume31

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, first off please excuse my poor english it is my second language ;)

Description of the problem :
Computer had tendency to overheat and often crashed. I used Ccleaner and it gave him a new youth, the computer worked perfectly during 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, it started crashing a lot again, i used Ccleaner again and AVG antivirus and it didnt change anything.
One day computer just stopped booting, when i turn it on i just get a
"Operating System not Found" on a black screen.

Analysis and treatments done

-Went into setup and tried a Harddrive test and the computer doesnt detect any. It says "No IDE device".
-Saw a solution on internet stating that one or two small hits on the computer could solve that problem. I tried...5 times and it failed.
-No other solution tested, i'm planning on trying to burn a Ultimate Boot CD, is it what you would suggest me to do ?

Material

The computer is a HP Pavilion dv 6700 with a AMD Turion64 x2 2gHz, 3g of DDR2 (i think) RAM, running on windows vista and i don't remember about the rest and can't check since it won't boot :D

I would like to know if anyone can help me and if you think there is a chance i can save the data that is on my harddrive (i care more about the data than the laptop itself).

Thanks in advance!
Guillaume

Edited by Guillaume31, 06 January 2011 - 01:40 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You need to test the hard-drive with the drive manufacturer's testing software (the DOS version). The links are here:
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

If you don't know who made the drive you can use "Seagate SeaTools for DOS" which can test any drive:
http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

Make sure you download the DOS version, not the Windows version because Windows is not working.
Make a bootable CD from the downloaded ISO file and boot your PC from it.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 07 January 2011 - 11:03 AM.

Guillaume31

Guillaume31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, sorry i was away for 2 weeks with no internet connection.
I've downloaded the Dos version and burnt it on a bootable cd, then changed boot order so that cd is first but it doenst boot on it :D
I have to directly burn the downloaded file on a cd right ? there is nothing else to do before burning right ? because when i clicked on burn a bootable cd it asked me to select a bootable image to burn on it but somehow the seatools file didnt show, i had to select "show all files" to make it appear and select it. is that normal ?

If cd doesnt work, is there any other way, for example a bootable usb key i dont know if thats possible ?
Thank you a lot for your help,
cordially,
Guillaume