Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen of Doom

• Please log in to reply

MJRevell

MJRevell

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
My brother's laptop has stopped loading up.

That is to say, you can turn it on. You can log in to Windows. But then the screen goes black. You can see the mouse, you can move the mouse, but it's just black, and there's nothing at all there.

It still works on some sense.

I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and it still brought up the options and the task manager.

But there's nothing else there, it seems unusable.

If anyone can be any help it would be much appreciated!

Mike

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
What happens if you load the task manager, then go to File -> New Task (Run) and then type explorer.exe and press Enter?

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did what you suggested, and it flashed up with a blue screen and some sort of error message before restarting pretty promptly.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Let's see if this works. When booting the system, tap F8 after you see the BIOS splash screen. You will get a menu with a bunch of different choices. Try choosing Safe Mode and see if it loads properly. Once in Safe Mode, see if the New Task (Run...) will work without a blue screen. If not, reboot tapping F8 again and choose the option that says Disable automatic restart on system failure, or something to that effect. Once in, try the New Task (Run..) again and when it blue screens it should stay there and allow you to write down the error message.