Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart xp without disk

• Please log in to reply

jsnow

jsnow

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My husband got this computer built and the guy never gave him the disk for the windows XP he installed.
Our son has put it through the ringer and it needs to be cleaned out.
I have done all I can with uninstalling all this games and doing many clean disks and defrags.
Nothing is bringing back the memory.
It is about 5-6 years old and it has an intel and 1.5 gb ram.
Is there anything I could do???

I have the new Ubuntu Linux based OS but I don't know if he will be able to run his games on it. He plays combat arms and LOTR and Perfect world and others.
He is a gamer...
Can anyone help????

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have done all I can with uninstalling all this games and doing many clean disks and defrags.
Nothing is bringing back the memory.

I hope you mean the free space on the hd?

Lets take a look at see what we have going on here.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Here is the info you requested. I did mean free space, it is running slow. I did just recently remove a lot of his programs but could not do a restore...
P.S. I am using my computer to submit this info, his computer is so slow the pages take forever to load. This is the info from his computer tho.

Attached Files

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I had no idea what you were talking about here:
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just saw that you wanted the sensors report here it is:

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look below this post down below and you will see the blue pic with my name in it and Trusted Tech along with the GTG logo.
Below that there is 3 rows of red and blue wording?
One of the words in the last row in red is Autoruns.
Click on that and the program will download.
Then transfer the zip file to his system and start with step 1 from there.

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
After you explained a little better I got it.. LOL
Here is what you asked for.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the Autoruns look pretty good so not much to do with it but I'm going to give you the second set of instructions because they contain the other two programs that you need to get and run.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you can't download the programs to your sons computer then you will have to download them to yours and then transfer them.

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Is there anything else you think I could do to help remove all the programs that are not needed, that would be a way of starting fresh..??
I just want to help his computer last a long as possible. Like I said he is a gamer and he keeps telling me how slow it is..

Advertisements

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did the defrag and it still shows a lot of red and says only 22% is defraged.
here is image:

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you run the TFC program first and then the Auslogics Defrag?
I need to see the hd so please do the following.
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did run the TFC before the defrag. the order in which you ask me to.
Here is the attachment.
Thanks again for all your time nd help.
I know a lot about computers and how to keep them clean but this one is hard. He really did a number on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSM.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok no Recovery Partition so the answer at this point is the programs that are installed.
Also I missed a question you had in your original post below.

I have the new Ubuntu Linux based OS but I don't know if he will be able to run his games on it. He plays combat arms and LOTR and Perfect world and others.
He is a gamer...

Though a great OS with Linux and I have it installed on my system here it does have one setback. Without using something like Python or Wine it is not very good for gaming.
I don't think since you say he is a gamer that would be the best option at this point.

If you have internet access on the system in questions please do the following.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I hope this is what you need.
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24114452