Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart xp without disk

• Please log in to reply

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I also wanted to let you know that I have tried many times to defrag his/this computer with no luck. I have never been able to complete a "full" defrag on it.
I am gotten programs like ccleaner, disksweeper, spyware blaster, spybot. I have gone through and uninstalled programs the right way after he didn't.
This is where I am getting stuck. I just don't know how to get the rest off and get it to defrag all the way..

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you did great. :D
Now lets see what we can do to open a lot more space for you.
First lets deal with system restore as that takes a lot of room by default.
Please go HERE and follow the instructions to the point of bringing up the pictures it shows.
Then please get a screenshot for me so I can determine how low we can set your system to open up some room.
If your system is set as I think there is about 8 gigs of space being used for system restore and we should be able to knock that down to about 2 gigs.

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok I moved down the % of space used for system restore. It was set at full 12%. What next? There is only one drive. I could not get it to 2 so I put it at 1.

Attached Thumbnails

• Restore%.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Now lets rerun TFC and Defrag and see what we can pickup now.
You are doing a great job. ;)

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I know it is getting late. Sorry... Here is the defrag screen shoot I just did after I did the TFC. Still 22%. Why is it not defraging anymore then that.?
It's like it is reaching a dead end.

Attached Thumbnails

• defrag-22.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The restore points could be holding all of the problem.
Lets clear all but the last restore point and try the defrag again.

Go to My computer.
Right click on the C drive and go to properties.
Click on disk clean up.
Click on the more options tab.
Go to the bottom under system restore and click on clean up.
Click ok to continue. It will clear all but the last restore point.

Then run the defrag program

Also while at disk properties look to see if "allow indexing on this drive" is checked.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks 123Runner :D

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok so I ran disk clean again and I went into the others tab and clicked the clean up for system restore. I then finished the disk clean and did the defrag with the program you told me to use. It only went up to 23%. then stopped again.
How can I should you want programs he has on here so you know there is 'not' a lot. I removed a ton and it is still showing very little space.
here is screen shot..
This is why I think he really needs to restore from factory but without a disk it is impossible.

Attached Thumbnails

• defrag-23.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok lets try a different way then and maybe the files that won't move will.
Boot into Safe Mode and then rerun the Auslogics Defrag there. This will allow the system to use the minimum drivers and programs to run which in turn should allow the defrag to get to other stuff.

By stopping at 23% are you saying defrag is not completing or it still only shows 23% free space?

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It is showing 23% frag. as for free space it is showing 29.3 GB. used 45.1 GB. as I said though there really isn't anything on here. I took off as much as I could.
How do I get it to load into safe mode? I only know about if the system doesn't shut-down right it gives that option.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
restart the system and start tapping the F8 key.
You should then get the Advance Boot Menu where Safe Mode will be one of the options.
Highlight it and then click Enter. System will reboot and go into Safe Mode then.

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay so that is done and did nothing. I got the same 23%. I am attaching 2 files this time. one a screen shoot of the defrag screen and the other is the report. Why is it not fully defragging??

Attached Thumbnails

• safe-defrag-23.JPG

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then we need to now start going after what is still installed.
Before doing all this let me ask you...is there a sticker on the side of the system with your version of XP and a reg key?

jsnow

jsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have to run a very important errand. I will be back and I will give you the information. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I will be here. :D