Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP running intermittantly and freezing

• Please log in to reply

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I am running n IBM R40 ThinkPad - XP 2002 version of XP Professional - SP2 Intel Processor ® M 1300 MHz; 256 RAM, 596 MHz

The problem is that at times the unit will just freeze (in whatever program I'm in)for about 20-30 seconds and then resume like nothing happened.

The unit was part of a high school laptop program where any fixes were done by the school. A lot of times the fdrives were jusrt reimaged. Everything, assignments, grade, etc were kept on the school's servers, so re-imaging was their easy fix.

Also, it was set up that upon start the unit starts immediately searching for available internet connections. I think this might have something to do with the freezes. I think it is continually seraching for a connection and when it does, it freezes whatever program is in use because it opts the processing to the search instead of using the program.

I only use the unit for Excel and Word - the 2002 versions.

I've stripped nearly everything off the computer so it's not fighting for RAM or processing speed.

But if it's trying to establish a wireless connection is that using up all the RAM and processing? This old unit looks underpowered.

I've run Malwarebytes and it's clean.

I have been trying to turn off the automatic network search but trying to follow guides on the net don't work because the options listed to turn off that serach don't seem to be available on this unit.

So I'm asking two questions here, 1) what might be causing the freezing and 2) how to shut off the automatic serach for available networks.

Advertisements

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I just added 1 GB to the RAM.

Made no difference in this problem.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know about the search for networks. Normally once you are connected to a network the computer should not search for others.

There are few things that I would try:

1: If the freeze is not complete but rather a strong slowdown open Task Manager > Processes and see if there is any process which takes a lot of CPU resources (above, say, 20%)

1: Increase virtual memory to a minimum of 1500 MB and maximum of 2500 MB (assuming you leave the extra 1 GB of RAM).

2: Download PageDefrag from my list of programs. Run the program, check the option of "running on next boot" and reboot.

3: Run chkdsk /r to make sure that the problem is not there. This is done by right-clicking C drive in My Computer > properties > tools > error checking > check now. Check the two boxes and click Start. Reboot and let the process run. Do not interfere in any way even if it takes a long time.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have decided to buy a new notebook.

This computer will be reimmaged and maybe that will do the trick with whatever is on there.

If all else fails I'll load Ubuntu.

Thanks for the suggestions.

This topic can be closed.

Geeks To Go is the best forum for getting answers to problems.

I'll continue to use it and recommend it to my friends.

Thanks.