Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP SP2 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

iggyboy

iggyboy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Happy new year to everybody! As usual with Windows since 10 years ago,I'm very close to format the HDD of my notebook with a lot of programs to reinstall.I was fighting with an explorer.exe trojan with no success and after several attempts,switched off.Next morning XP couldn't boot,stopping just after BIOS with blinking cursor on black screen.Using the installation CD (where I don't have the option R) the message was "no volume is present".The only way to solve part of my problem was to start with an USB floppy with NTDETECT,NTLDR,BOOT.INI.
Starting this way,I can just run like normal but cannot access to any network(even if looking into connections "LAN is connected")and the booting at the end is very slow.I was happy because all my files and programs are present,but any other attempt following the many proposals found,didn't solve the main problem.By the way scanning with some antivirus seems that explorer.exe and winlogon.exe are still infected,but this happens even after overwriting those files with clean ones directlty with SATA 2,5" box.

Advertisements

dos362

dos362

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can you boot the computer into Safe Mode?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
If you are infected you should stop by the Malware Removal forum

Follow the instructions HERE and then post HERE

iggyboy

iggyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Can you boot the computer into Safe Mode?

Yes,with F8

iggyboy

iggyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

If you are infected you should stop by the Malware Removal forum

Follow the instructions HERE and then post HERE

I'm infected I think,but not sure that infection is the reason for no booting,I think I will post in the malware section.Many thanks!

iggyboy

iggyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Here I'm again.Please,before I give up formatting,I invite some expert to read HERE