Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

whitesmoke virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are you able to burn a CD or have a spare USB stick ? Restarting half way through a boot is not advisable as files will get corrupted

We will use an mobile operating system called xPUD, and a script called rst.sh to restore your computer.

On the clean computer.

Creating a bootable USB using xPUD
  • Please download the following files and save it to the desktop
  • Insert the USB device to make bootable to the computer. (Make sure that no other USB's are inserted)
  • Double-click on unetbootin.exe to run
  • Select Disk Image, ISO and in the space provided, enter the path location of xpud-0.9.2.iso (ex. C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Desktop\xpud-0.9.2.iso)
  • Select USB Drive type and the drive letter assigned to your USB stick.
  • Click "OK" and wait until the program finishes. You now have a bootable xPUD.
  • Download the following tool and save it inside the bootable USB

Please note: if you prefer to create a bootable CD using xPUD, you may download the ISO image found here and burn it to a CD.

On the infected computer.
  • Reboot your system using the xPUD bootable USB you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from USB follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a xPUD desktop.
  • Select on the File icon; on the right pane click on the "mnt" folder and highlight "sdb1" - this is your USB device.

sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
    sdb1 is likely your USB

• Click on the "Tool" menu and select Open Terminal
    Posted Image
  • In the open terminal window, type in the following:

bash rst.sh
  • Press "Enter" and let it run uninterrupted.
    (The program lists available Restore Points and will save a report enum.log located in the USB drive.)
  • The program is finished when it say's "Done".
  • Type "Exit" to close the terminal window.
  • Please attached the enum.log file in your reply. (You may remove your USB drive when transferring log to a clean computer).

Please note: If you have an ethernet connection you can access the internet by way of xPUD (Firefox). You can perform all these steps on your sick computer. When you download the download will reside in the Download folder. It can be found under the File tab also. You can similarly access our thread by way of this OS too so you can send the logs that way.

Advertisements

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I got the sick computer to boot up with xPUD, got to the mnt menu, and there was no sdb1 file present. just sda1, 2, 4 and 5.

edit: I downloaded the file using my internet connection. I'm also posting this via my sick computer. The log file is attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  enum.log   100bytes   164 downloads

Edited by rdtaylor9, 11 January 2011 - 08:58 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is finding no restore points

I would like you to download the Vista repair disc from here

Thsi will install the Vista equivalent of the recovery console

Download the ISO file and then burn to disc as a bootable image

If you do not have any disc burning software, then download and install Imgburn
Once Imgburn is installed just double click the ISO file you downloaded and Imgburn will open to burn it to disc
Then reboot your computer using the CD and select repair my computer

Usage of the programme is here this will give you instructions on how to proceed

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
should I download the 32 bit or 64 bit version? I am unsure of which type my OS is.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You have the 32 bit version

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
the ISO file isn't downloading. I click the link to the 32 bit version and it just goes to a blank webpage.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you try this link http://68.35.72.131:...ecoveryDisc.iso right click the link and select save target as...

You may need to be a bit patient as this server only allows two connections at one time

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It's saying it can't repair the computer automatically. I looked at the repair diagnostic and it says root cause found: boot configuration is corrupt. Repair action: partition table repair. Result: failed. Error code = 0 x 490.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
When you run the recovery disc I would like you to select the following option

Instead of selecting repair my computer select Command prompt

Type in bootrec.exe and press Enter

Then reboot- let me know the result

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I typed it in and it produces more lines of code, but doesn't automatically reboot or prompt me to reboot. So then I click restart from the main window. Still get the same error screen. Here's what it says:

/fixmbr -- writes the master boot record of the system partition using the master boot record compatible with vista. This does not overwrite the existing partition table

/fixboot -- writes a new boot sector onto the system partition using the boot sector compatible with vista

/scanOS -- scan all disks for installations compatible with vista and display the errors that ar le currently not in the boot configuaration store

/rebuildbcd -- scan all disks for installations compatible with vista and allow the user to choose which to add to the boot config store.

X:\sources>

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Use this command first and then try to reboot

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

If that fails we will need to write a new boot sector using

bootrec.exe /fixboot

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So on the reboot when it says press any key to boot from cd, should I ignore that and let it try to boot normally?

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Just as a quick update here, I used the fixmbr command, it said the operation completed succesfully, then I clicked restart and let it boot normally, and I still got the same error message

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK try the fixboot command now - and yes let it try to boot normally

rdtaylor9

rdtaylor9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Did that, still same error message. It said the operation completed successfully