Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird email transfer

• Please log in to reply

New Jersey Devils

New Jersey Devils

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I could really use help with something. I have a Windows XP operating system. I am switching Windows user profile accounts so I am shutting down one user account in place of another. Now by doing so, I need to transfer my Thunderbird application email. I recently needed to update my Thunderbird software and when I did this, all of my email and address book contacts disappeared!! I went ahead and googled what to do because I wanted to at least retrieve the data so I can transfer the data to the new Thunderbird application under my new Windows user profile account. So I started following the instructions in this article here: http://email.about.c...estore_prof.htm Now I got as far as where he said "click exit" and then I lost him because I'm not understanding what he is talking about after that. After a long time searching, I finally was able to locate the "restoration profile" that I set up. The file folder path reads: C:\Documents and Settings\Danielle1\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xdmvigzr.Restoration Profile Now when I bring up the file folder initially, I see a date that reads: "7/5/2001" on it and this is the same date that shows when I boot up my computer. When I click on that file folder, I have a bunch of files in there: "extensions," "mail," "minidumps," "cert8.db," "comptability.ini" etc. Some files in this part also have the date "7/5/2001," but others have the recent date of "1/6/2011" when I last saw my emails themselves. What I want to do is copy the data files over to my new Mozilla Thunderbird program so I can see the emails and address book again. The Tools/Import/Export feature on Thunderbird doesn't seem to be responding to anything I do. At most I get a response that says at the bottom left "done compacting" but you don't see anything else happening.

Advertisements